What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracinia?

• Thread starter JayJay
  • Start date
Can you tell what it is yet? It goes a burgandy colour in the sun.

I'm guessing it's a form of flava.

flava hybrid. it may be flava x (purpurea x flava)

Doubt it.

And why do you doubt it? What is your suggestion? If you want to contribute to the thread and to help identify the plant in question, either make a suggestion or offer proof why another suggestion is not correct.

xvart.

I don't see any purpurea characteristics and I've seen pics of flava x (purpurea x flava) and it doesn't look like that. I mean that I doubt the hybrid, not that it is a hybrid.. I'm sorry, I really can't use the computer today.

the fact there is a slight curvature to the pitchers tell me purp genes. the hood of flava(from the rim) goes straight up then at an angle. this plant has the hood going at an angle from the start with a very very slight vertical raise. and also that all pitchers face the rhizome they originate from.

since flava x (purp x flava) IS a hybrid. you can have an extreme amount of genetic variation. you could have 2 DIFFERENT or same forms of flava and a form of purp. no two from even the same hybrid and seed set will look the same.

Alex

I guess your right. Idk why, but I have a feeling it has leucophylla because I see white speckling on the biggest three.

So, is there a posotive ID on the suspect?

Thats a cool plant dude. I would guess a big mutt there. I agree with all of the above but I would guess a little bit of oreo in there two with the recurved lid like that although there is know wavyness to it. I also agree with the leuco/purp background. Thats a tough one. I've never seen a Sarra with that appearance. My guess would be flava oreo leuco purp maybe backcrossed with flava. Wild guess. :crazy: Sarracenia variability is awesome. If that one were in my backyard I'd call it 'Coolaid'

Ummmmm......

Does the tag in the pot give any hints to identification?

Nah, it just says Sarracinia, and has multiple pictures of the plants.

May have to wait until fll to ID it . Any phylloidials on that Puppy?

If all else fails it's sarracenia sp.

I have to disagree with the Leuco idea. If it had Leuco in it, the hood would be at least a little wavy. The Flava and Oreo prospects sound good to me as well as Flava (Purp x Flava) or Flava x (Purp x Flava) x Flava. It almost reminds me of Copper Vase.

Wow this is getting weird, Soon I'll have people posting things like
Its a (GHfXl'g) X GJGdp12.564 x (gdg X DDSA) GJKDGs E=MC2

It looks similar to a pic of (rubra x oreophila) x purpurea'burkeii' I saw. Based on the similarties I'd agree with purp and oreo as possible parents.

Back