What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID these Drosera seedlings

compare that to this:
carbarupflowe5.jpg

The shape of the petals look different to me, though a little difficult because of the angle. But it looks like blunt points vs. rounded.

i will show an other angle later....i think it's the same

how about this angle? the flower may appear a bit diferent but that might just be because of diferent growing conditions or just the cameras that we use...i think
carbarupflower2.jpg

It's funny how everyone's "D. pygmaea" plants turned out to be a form of the nitidula complex. I purchased mine off ebay, and noticed that the guy who sold them probably sold the notorious "D. pygmaea" gemmae to around 15-20 people. I wonder how it got mislabeled in the first place---i was originally wondering if it actually is nitidula x pygmaea, but my flowers on that hybrid are yet to open.
I'll post pics if they look similar.

Seems we all have enough knowledge to be dangerous and confused! I know one thing... I can't tell one nitidula from another. Their leaves and flowers look alike!

The ICPS seedbank says:

Many gemmae traded around are incorrectly identified. The reasons for this include incorrect ID in the first place or sloppy or lost labels. The most common reason is gemmae migrating between pots. When rain drops hit plants with gemmae, the little plantlets explode out and can travel tens of cm. It is best to protect plant with gemmae from rain. Please see the pages on pygmy Drosera mug shots to help identify

These shots of D. nitidula hybrids shows how subtle the differences can be:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/D_pygmyMugs3.htm

Given the pink flowers and five petals my best guess is the "D. pygmaea" is actually Drosera nitdula ssp. nitidula x occidentalis "Carbarup" (though not necessarily "Carbarup"). D. x "Lake Badgerup" has white flowers, usually 4 but sometimes 5 petals.

So confusing!

D. allantostigma:

IMG_0054-1.jpg

D. erricksoniae:

IMG_0077.jpg

AF002701.jpg

And for the lark of it, from gemmae I received:

D. nitidula - omissa:

IMG_0078.jpg

Lake Carburup:

IMG_0079.jpg

AF002901.jpg

D. palaceae:

IMG_0074.jpg

The highly disputed D. pygmaea:

IMG_0037-1.jpg

IMG_0181-1.jpg

AF003101.jpg

Lake badgerup????

IMG_0038-1.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

D. nitidula occidentalis?:
AF002801.jpg

All pictures taken from my collection, during the past 3 years.

ok Jim....this is what is see!
pisc 1 and 2 are the same plant wich is probably allantostigma x omissa
4 i think it's a lake badgerup
5 it's a carbarup (as far as i know is D. "Carbarup" not lake carbarup....but that's less important)
7 looks to be a paleacea ...can't tell on the subsp.
8...i don't see the flower but if it's small and all white then your id is correct
9 and 12...if those flowers are pink they probably are the carbarup
13....can be
Due to the very different growing conditions that we have it is hard to id the plants by the look fo the rosette in most cases....so we have to rely on the flowers.

There is a white flowered form of omissa out there NaN....not only the pink/purpule one that we all know!.http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1425/dericksoniaenormaleundweieblte.jpg........

Okay.. that settles it... I have a bunch of pygmy sundews!!! (mostly something that started out as a nitidula)

Okay, couple more flowers -

D. nitidula x pulchella? Looks like D. omissa x pulchella ???
P7040129copy.jpg

P7040128.jpg

D. helodes no question
P7040129.jpg

Drosera paleacea ssp paleacea
P7040129-1.jpg

Nice!! How did i miss this?!
It's certanly not nitidula x pulchella.........more like omissa or the hybrid that you named...too much light on the flower.

Drosera paleacea ssp paleacea
01370008.jpg

01370009.jpg

01370011.jpg

01370012.jpg

D. omissa x pulchella ?
01370013.jpg

01370014.jpg

01370015.jpg

01370021.jpg

01370022.jpg

D. helodes
01370010.jpg

01370016.jpg

Australia rocks when it comes to dew type plants!

Fun Fact - Australia has the most number of Drosera species anywhere in the world. I believe they just found one or two new ones on one of the field trips at the last ICPS convfernce.

Hey NaN,

I got my Nitidula x pulchella from a very reputable source, but it looks just like yours, including the flowers.

Hmm....

Australian sundews is to N.A. sundews as Pacific saltwater fish are to Atlantic.

Go with your id NaN.....it is certainly not a trace of nitidula in it!

Back