Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this sphagnum moss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this sphagnum moss?

I was poking around in one of my plant pots when I noticed a bunch of green star shaped moss things growing. They aren't flat against the ground, they stand up a little bit. I picked them out because they keep popping up in that pot. Also, in my D. Capensis pot, there's this thing that looks similar to that other moss but is bigger, and is a brighter green-yellow color. The tips of it is brown, and it grows very slow, much slower than the other moss. Are either of these things sphagnum?
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maneatingmoo View Post
    I was poking around in one of my plant pots when I noticed a bunch of green star shaped moss things growing. They aren't flat against the ground, they stand up a little bit. I picked them out because they keep popping up in that pot. Also, in my D. Capensis pot, there's this thing that looks similar to that other moss but is bigger, and is a brighter green-yellow color. The tips of it is brown, and it grows very slow, much slower than the other moss. Are either of these things sphagnum?
    Without actually seeing the mosses in question, I cannot really say with any certainty. I doubt, however that either are a species of spaghnum -- that is, unless you have a pot of it nearby and it managed somehow to volunteer. There are a number of other mosses which will easily grow highly humid conditions, most of which already had dormant spores within the composts . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be but would need photos to be positive. There are so many different moss Genera and several could be considered star shaped. There are many species of sphagnum moss too.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    — Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it look like this? (Sorry for the size of the photo)

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it looks like Capenis' moss then it would be carpet moss or star Did I get it right? I suck at identifying
    Last edited by polywer2345; 07-24-2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added 'starmoss'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's not as thick as Capensis' moss, there were only a few pieces, and they stood up a little. I'll take a picture but I don't think you'll be able to see the moss very well. Oh and I picked all of the moss that there was more of, so it's all gone and no pics of that. Uh scratch that, I just took a picture and you can't see anything.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably star or carpet moss

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should like the moss all the way to the right of this pic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast