What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this sphagnum moss?

I was poking around in one of my plant pots when I noticed a bunch of green star shaped moss things growing. They aren't flat against the ground, they stand up a little bit. I picked them out because they keep popping up in that pot. Also, in my D. Capensis pot, there's this thing that looks similar to that other moss but is bigger, and is a brighter green-yellow color. The tips of it is brown, and it grows very slow, much slower than the other moss. Are either of these things sphagnum?

I was poking around in one of my plant pots when I noticed a bunch of green star shaped moss things growing. They aren't flat against the ground, they stand up a little bit. I picked them out because they keep popping up in that pot. Also, in my D. Capensis pot, there's this thing that looks similar to that other moss but is bigger, and is a brighter green-yellow color. The tips of it is brown, and it grows very slow, much slower than the other moss. Are either of these things sphagnum?

Without actually seeing the mosses in question, I cannot really say with any certainty. I doubt, however that either are a species of spaghnum -- that is, unless you have a pot of it nearby and it managed somehow to volunteer. There are a number of other mosses which will easily grow highly humid conditions, most of which already had dormant spores within the composts . . .

Could be but would need photos to be positive. There are so many different moss Genera and several could be considered star shaped. There are many species of sphagnum moss too.

Does it look like this? (Sorry for the size of the photo)

SN851221.jpg

If it looks like Capenis' moss then it would be carpet moss or star??? Did I get it right? I suck at identifying:p

Last edited:
No, it's not as thick as Capensis' moss, there were only a few pieces, and they stood up a little. I'll take a picture but I don't think you'll be able to see the moss very well. Oh and I picked all of the moss that there was more of, so it's all gone and no pics of that. Uh scratch that, I just took a picture and you can't see anything.

It should like the moss all the way to the right of this pic.

DSCF1523.jpg

It does look alot like that but not as tall.

Back