Thread: Help Me Identify a Possible Pest

Someday is not a day of the week. Maxx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Me Identify a Possible Pest

Hi,

I recently noticed some abnormal and deformed growth on my S.Alata and N.Sabre. I'm not sure if its a pest problem, but if it is then I would like to know what kind of pest it is and how to control it. Thanks.

As you can see, this newest leaf is much smaller and more decrepid than the others.

Sorry for the bad pic, but one side of this pitcher is completely gone. It seems like it was chewed off by something.
    I regret little to nothing!

My Growlist

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, the nep pest could be just a simple lack of water, or possibly a change in conditions or something like that. See what the leaf after it does and then start worrying.

The sarra is something i get a lot on my alatas too. Maybe a grasshopper or something like that. Nothing deathly, just not pleasent to look at. Try some soapy water or something weak like that if you want...
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By further investigation, I believe I've identified thrips. Would this be okay to use against them?

My Growlist

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is indeed thrips, that could be a major issue. I have problems here with thrips in the garden. They spread the tomato wilt disease, only 1/4 of my tomatoes lived this year. As far as pesticides, I haven't heard of any. As a preventive it's said to eliminate all weeds in the area, which is impossible for me due to a 12 acre field being next to me, or using man made reflective mulch. The reflective mulch is supposed to confuse them because it shines light under the leaves.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    By further investigation, I believe I've identified thrips. Would this be okay to use against them?

Thrips are listed on the product literature so it should work. I've not personally used that product so I could not say how safe it is to use on CPs. I've used the Dual Action Rose and Flower Insect Killer with few harmful effects.

If you can find it Spinosad is effect against thrips and appears to be fairly benign.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should work although I don't know how fast. I have used Ortho products with great success. Look on the label for acephate as the active ingredient and follow the label directions. As with ANY product your spraying with make sure the plant is in a cooler environment and sprayed in the morning so it has time to dry by night. Spraying anything in the hot full sun will burn the #$% out of the leaves.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just looked up that Spinosad stuff and it really seems to be the shizle. The sad thing is that once I found the price I had to say no. $150 Qt !!!!!!!!! Figures.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see acephate on the active ingredients list, but I'll still try it out. I went to Armstrongs and they didn't have Orthene (which was what I wanted) so I got this.

My Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast