What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name that Nep!

NaRnAr

Ive got Crabs!
I found this guy at a local plant nursery. All that is on the plant stick was "Pitcher $9.99"...so your guess will be FAR better than mine since this is my first Nep *all geeked out*

Here is the entire plant:
DSC05660.jpg

and some of what is left of the pitchers...they all look sad like this:
DSC05661.jpg

DSC05662.jpg

Thanks for your help!
~nar

I'm going to go with N. x ventrata for 500!

I'll raise to 600.

Thanks guys! :-D

yup, I am 99.99% certain it is ventrata!

I'm no Nep expert for sure, but the pitcher shape does not look like any of the so-called and ID'd ventratas that I have had. This plant came from elgecko:

AF001301.jpg

AF001201.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

The pitchers have no pink/red on them like those. They are entirely green from what I can tell and are maybe 2 inches long/tall...but they are also dying. Perhaps I will have to wait for a really good pitcher to grow to make that 100% confirmation of a ventrata? Do all ventrata have pinkish pitchers? or are some green?

I know that there is variation among ventratas, but I'm not sure what they are. Here's an old picture of a Judith Finn, but...

AF001501.jpg

can we get a size reference to the larger pitchers? ventrata pitchers don't have wings after a certain size... I am lowering my certainty to 40%, lol.

Don't forget that a hybrid (unless cloned) will not be the same as the same hybrid with different plants. You could have two different hybrids of ventrata.

-Max

Sure I can get a few more pics of the pitchers. Probably wont be until Sunday as I am working 14 hours today and tomorrow *ugh. But I will do that!

IMHO -- definitely not a ventrata -- ventrat have no wings. Aslo the peristome seems to be fairly significant -- also not typical of an ventrata. An Alata perhaps ?

Alrighty, here are some more pics. On the last one, is that mold or scale or something else..its only on the underside of the leaves near the base of the plant.

DSC05671.jpg

DSC05672.jpg

DSC05673.jpg

Thanks again for all your help :)

Black soot mold on the nectar glands. You can wipe it off with a damp papertowel if you like.

I am almost certain the plant is N. Ventrata. Small pitchers you show there with the ruler usually do have wings, even N. Ventrata

N. x ventrata (ventricosa x alata) all the way.

ok good to know its mold...I about fell over thinking i had bought another plant with scale. *gah. Ill give it a little bath here sometime and wipe it off.

Thanks for everyones ID help!!

I can hardly wait for NEW pitchers!! hehe!

Nope -- not a N. x ventrata . Even if small ventrata pitchers have wings (I have never seen them on mine) There is a larger pitcher in the last picture that has prominent wings. Also -- that same pitcher does not exhibit the typical vase shape a ventrata pitcher has. Compare this vetrata pitcher with the large one in the last photo -- I see no similarites -- OK they are both Nepenthes -- but other than that .......

n%20x%20ventrata.jpg

There are lots of similarities. Of course you are only seeing half a pitcher in the other photos but look at the size. They at most would be a couple inches tall if the whole pitcher was there. That is considerably smaller than the pitchers you have there. The plant itself is unmistakeably N. ventrata. Give it some time to make some large mature pitchers and I think you will find it matches yours exactly, pitchers as well as leaves.

Sorry Tony, I am still not seeing this as a ventrata

Looking at this picture, the pitcher in the middle does indeed look something like a ventrata pitcher if we ignore the wings. The other two do not.

The pitcher I was looking at is the larger one in the lower right hand corner. Even if that is only a four inch pot (I am thinking more likely 6 inches) that would put that pitcher at about three inches long. I am sure that I have pitchers on my ventrata less than three inches long that have no wings and exhibit the classic vase shape. That coupled with the broad leaves and I just don't see it being a ventrata.

Of course you are right -- we will have to wait for a new pitcher to form before we can make a positive ID -- and I have some crow waiting in my fridge in case I am wrong

AF001501.jpg

The photo you have posted in the last reply? That is not the same plant. That is Jimscotts N. Judith Finn. So you are correct there!! That's no N. ventrata! hehe

Back