What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some type of tropical?

• Thread starter Goofzilla
  • Start date

Goofzilla

I'm Stratified
I got this plant a few weeks ago and have finally decided to try and figure out what it is!

It's a fast grower & I like it's looks.

IM000227.JPG

And ideas? Thanks a lot!

im 99.9% sure its a purple heart house plant, although yours isn't purple lol, i know because mine have turned green before too, heres a link...

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week276.shtml

To make the leaves purple again just increase lighting, and if you let it grow long enough it will produce offshoots or basals. Sorta like neps, you let it hang over the pot, it will grow basals, from what ive heard. Or its very easy to propagate by cuttings

dustin

Moses-in-the-Cradle. (Again - lots of people posting these lately...)
~Joe

Yea it's def. not a wandering Jew (purple heart). Wandering Jews have fuzz all over them and are a nice purple color (relatively regardless of the lighting).

-Ben

I think that Wandering Jew and Moses-in-the-Cradle could be one in the same; I have one of these and, while it appears glossy like in the picture, it has a dense coat of very fine, short hairs. I've seen ones with much more prominent fuzz, but they have otherwise identical features to the glossy ones. If they aren't the same species, they're at least the same genus. They also vary widely in color from purple to green depending on light conditions; there's a fuzzy one at my school that looks a lot like this one in terms of color, but the side that faces a big window is purple on both the tops and undersides of the leaves. Try putting it outside in the summer for really attractive, compact growth.
~Joe

PS - 2000 posts hooray!

Both mentioned plants are in the same genus. This appears to be Mr. Moses. Look for the cradle to form deep in the leaf axils where the white flowers will be produced. This is a very hardy plant that can stand much neglect.

Back