What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant bulb? Spider Egg? Peanut??

Anyone have any idea what the heck this is? I found it buried under about a half inch of soil in with my CPs. I have a sarracenia and 3 dionaea. It was right between the sarracenia pot and the red dragon dionaea...

100_0849.jpg

100_0850.jpg

100_0854.jpg

I've only had those plants in there for this season. They were kept outside my window sill for most of it. I have no idea what this thing is. Any thoughts? I would love to narrow it down to animal, vegetable, or mineral!

It's something called a "peanut". Pronounced: "pee-NUHT"

-Ben

Are you sure? I'm away from it right now, but even though it's peanut shaped, I really don't think it is... It doesn't have those perpendicular lines nor the same kind of texture. It does look roughly the same shape, and it's brownish, but I really don't think it is.

Also I have no idea how a perfectly intact peanut would get completely buried in my soil. You can see that there is some sphagnum on one small piece of the thing, and its stuck there pretty good, it was holding onto a good chunk of soil before i pulled it up.

Welcome to TF! I'll bet Ben's bottom dollar that it's a peanut.

Hmmph. When I get home tomorrow, I guess I will try cracking it open and seeing what happens... If it is a peanut, then comes the mystery of where on earth it came from and how it got there...

Thanks.

Maybe your plants went to a baseball game while you were away. Welcome to TF.

xvart.

A peanut! Lmao hahahahhahahahaaa

It's a peanut. You probably have squirrels - just be glad they were burying stuff in your pots instead of digging it up.
~Joe

I would bet a peanut as well. It could have been buried long enough that some of the details we associate with peanuts have faded - like the lines

I don't know about the plants going to the ball game -- but it does appear they go to the 'plant spa' -- look at the side of the container

As kids we used to give peanuts to the blue jays. And watch them bury them in the yard. Maybe they were just trying to break open the shells but you'd think they would put them on a hard surface for that.

Looks like you have clover growing with your plants, remove it. Nitrogen is not good in cp soil and clover is a nitrogen fixer, it gathers nitrogen from the air and converts it to nitrates.

Back