What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A reverse-ID? (Drosera)

I have an odd question.

Many moons ago -- about 3-4 months back, I think -- I saw an absolutely breathtaking Drosera in these forums... I do not remember the name but feel that it started with a G, and IIRC that it came from either Madagascar or Brazil.

What I DO remember was the color, a very vibrant green gradienting into a very vibrant nearly purple red with almost comically large drops of dew. It was by far the most striking Drosera I've seen in a very long time.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

My god, yes, that's it! Not the exact picture I was thinking of, but, well, bingo!

Thank you so much!

Wonder how hard finding one of those would be. they seem to be somewhat rare. Heck, Wikipedia doesn't even have an entry on them.

They're not endangered, are they? That brings up a weird question -- I saw a Drosera madagascariensis for sale on eBay about 2-3 months back, it's Endangered... does that make it legal to grow in cultivation / buy on eBay?

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome. No listing US vendors ^^ In the rules. And if it's legal or not, I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TF! It's about time you found this place! (Petiolaris)

As long as the plants are grown and propagated in cultivation, it is legal to sell them. It's when sellers on the *** or anywhere else collects an endangered species from the wild and then sells it that there are problems. I've heard of many cases where cps in cultivation are plants that were once very rare and are now extinct in the wild.

Back