Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. ‘whatchacallit”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D. ‘whatchacallit”

What DO you call it? This guy started popping out from the pot of my D. Aliciae I got from the NASC auction this year probably less than a month or two ago. The volunteer really took off and already starting to flower and now a second little guy has appeared in the original pot so I’d like to know what they are. I’m not really experienced in Id’ing these things but my guess would be something along the lines of D. intermedia? What do the experts think? If I am home when it blooms I’ll update…but I doubt it will bloom during the limited time I would be home and awake…

Plant number two peeking out…plant one started out just the same…really put on the size in a flash though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the first one looks like a d.capillaris or d. proliferis
    It also looks like a d.capillaris or a d. proliferis

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be capillaris or rotundifolia. Prolifera has flower stalks that lean over.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a hybrid to me, like Drosera x obovata (Drosera rotundifolia x anglica). Similar to 'Ivan's Paddle'.

Note: While 'Ivan's Paddle' is fertile seed offspring vary enormously and caution should be used in using the cultivar name 'Ivan's Paddle'.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zph...ansPaddle.html
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...26.html#paddle

If you got the plant from Laura she has both 'Ivan's Paddle' and Drosera x beliziana (Drosera intermedia x rotundifolia) in her collection. I don't think D. x beliziana is fertile unless it's one of Dr. Frankensnyder's creations. I would check with her and see if she remembers what was flowering around the time of the auction.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks stunningly similar to the tropical intermedia I received from a guy in NY - I think mine's mis-ID'd.

Since the leaves aren't as upright as my capillaris, I don't think it is capillaris.

It's definately not prolifera. Doesn't look like the rotundifolia I've seen in the field either.

I bet NaN is right.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It reminds me of the plant on the left (D. intermedia). D. anglica is on the right:

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flowers and more importantly seeds will reveal its identity. If it is one of Ivan Snyder's polyploid fertile hybrids it is likely to produce viable seed. We would have to check with him as to what the seeds of 'Ivan's Paddle' look like.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And for more confusion, last year's 'Paddle':

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast