What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More to ID

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Picture050.jpg
dielsiana or spatulata?

Picture051.jpg
stray burmannii?

Picture085-1.jpg
What's this to the left of the sessilifolia?

Picture071.jpg
What's this next to the regia?

Picture171.jpg
What pigmy is this?

Well, I can tell you the second one is burmanii, can't be sure of the others. :(

Yes, the 2nd is D. burmannii....doncha wish all the other species were so distinctive, LOL. Very difficult to make assessment without floral details in most cases. Some helpful data to add when asking concern hairs on the scape and leaf underside, and where the scape emerges from the rosette...center or curved from the base? Once they get all growd up, things will be easier and you're likely to recognize it on your own.

Pygmy ID without flowers is fairly impossible as well especially in immature and often atypical individuals. I'd also caution you not to seek consensus opinion based on Bob Z's admirable site. Phill Mann had a look there and it not surprisingly is a mess regarding these species. Allen Lowrie's botanical sketches are probably the best way to internalize this rather difficult section of Droseracae, better than photo's in fact. I'll see if I have them somewhere and share if I do.

next to the regia is tokaiensis

Halt there is actually no way to tell if its tokaiensis or spatulata just by looking at it unless your a master drosera IDer. ive grown both for awhile now and they are pretty hard to tell apart. especially considering the fact that tokaiensis is also known as Spatulata 'kansai'

It's not a spatulata or tokaienesis. It's a stray pygmy sundew of some sort.

yup, the pygmy next to the Regia looks kinda like the D. leucostigma that you sent me gemmae of a while ago, jim. Are the tinier pygmies at the bottom the same as the one next to Regia? Look similar to me...

Does D. leucostigma have an alternate name? Could that be D. allantostigma?

D leucostigma was D. nitidula ssp leucostigma and D. allantostigma was D. nitidula ssp. allantostigma. They both have that nitidula look. As said before it is alost impossible to tell them apart if you dont show some flower pics. Just a hint....if the flowers have red stigmas then your leucostigma is something else!

I love these pots of plants you end up with Jim.

Is that regia one you started or the one that is just hanging on?

Blake! The regia is one that has had a bit of the "phoenix" experience. I can't seem to get it past 2 decent leaves at a time. The spatulata or dielsiana is what came from you. I'm just not sure which it is.

D leucostigma was D. nitidula ssp leucostigma and D. allantostigma was D. nitidula ssp. allantostigma. They both have that nitidula look. As said before it is alost impossible to tell them apart if you dont show some flower pics. Just a hint....if the flowers have red stigmas then your leucostigma is something else!

I've never had gemmae that was specifically called leucostigma, I definitely have had allanstostigma. I won't even mention erricksoniae or omissas or accidentalis (sic)... :-O

hmmm... i'll check the flowers in a few weeks when i go home. it's seems i must've mislabeled somewhere down the line.

I cant remember what I sent you. Were they seeds? If so then they should be dielsiana.

Glad to hear its still the same regia. Mine are still hanging on. I about lost one after a repotting but both continue to thrive.

I will send you a PM soon.

Okay, then these must be the spatulata.

Back