What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep ID

Well, this was ordered as a talangensis, but as many commented, it's in fact NOT a talangensis. So, what is it? I'm now thinking maybe Nepenthes distillatoria, but wanted some more opinions. Forgive the poor quality of especially the first photo...I hate this camera!

P1010385-1.jpg

P1010387.jpg

N. distillariora is pretty similar. Don't label it as such until you're actually certain it is.

Talagensis that is not.

possibly N. thorelii or one of the many varieties of N. mirabilis

I don't plan on labeling it anything definitive until it gets older, and there's some consensus. If I decide to keep it that long. Right now, space is in short supply, and I'm not really wanting to keep a bunch of plants that I don't have a positive ID on. This is the second Nepenthes-specific order I've done, and both times I've gotten misidentified plants. What terrible luck!! arg! I still have another order coming, but it's been weather delayed for a while...so hopefully when that comes in, everything is correct haha.

EDIT: also, in coming up with distillatoria, I reviewed the availability list of the place I ordered from. There was no thorelii, but they did have mirabilis var. echinostoma. Though I know plenty of places will have plants that are not offered on the list, for one reason or another.

The leaves also sport hairlike projections along the sides. I don't know how I forgot to mention it earlier! But hopefully it will help with an ID. It also seems to be growing quite fast, though considering it's next to ephippiata, lowii, and rajah, that probably doesn't matter.

P1010380-2.jpg

P1010379-1.jpg

P1010383-1.jpg

Yeah, it looks like. N. mirabillis.

more than likely mirabilis or mirabilis x gracilis

Arg! Oh well. I guess I'll have one more thing to trade when the weather cheers up.

Looks more like N distillatoria to me. Deffinately not N. mirabilis var. echinostoma. The few sporadic little hairs on some of the leaf margins are not the same as the serrated leaf margins N. mirabilis sometimes exhibits.

I am somewhat puzzled though why you think it is luck or lack there of having two orders with misidentified plants. I hope you contacted the vendor.

oh woops.. Here a photo of N. distillatoria pink. I would still wait a bit and let your plant grow up some more though, before calling it one thing or another with any certainty.

NdistillitoriaPink1CR.jpg

Well, I didn't know if it was common to receive a misidentified plant with every order :p But yes, I plan on letting it grow a bit, and seeing what it does. Maybe it'll grow on me. With the other plants around it being ephippiata, lowii, and rajah, it looks like a beast as far as growth rate, so at least that's fun.

I think I remember your original post about this particular plant. I order a few Neps from the same vendor around that same time. (at least I'm reasonably sure it was the same vendor) One of them was supposed to be N. talangensis, the plant I got looks identical to yours. Interestingly, it was the only plant in the order that did not come with an ID tag. Mine has not pitchered yet so I can't make a better comparison with yours. I'm still very much a novice with these plants, but based on the opinions of the more experienced growers here, it seems likely to me that the vendor misidentified some of their plants.

Mine also came with no tag, so there's a good likelihood it's the same situation. There was also no tag with my rajah, but it seems to at least be a rajah anyway. It'll be interesting to see when it pitchers. So far it's not given me a problem with that, and put out 4-5 pitchers in the last 2 months, so hopefully yours won't take long either.

draven, rajah is a species you can tell just by looking at the leaves...haha

Yes, well, the traps give it away as well. :p I'm just glad that the others came in properly.

Back