Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    etiolated plant grown on the bottom of a shelf in a deathcube at lowes. Dont worry, with the proper nursing it will be fine. i rescued about 500-600$ in plants last year from lowes (got em for a good discount though, so didnt spend near that much) and managed to save a good 98% of em. only losses were a couple of D. adelae which is dont really care much about anyway XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't look like venosa to me. The lack of hair on the outside of the pitcher seems to hint at S. purpurea purpurea. And I agree with Halt: It looks like anthocyanin-free to me. The browning and drying of the pitcher is consistent with (ironically) too much direct sunlight. The anthocyanin-free purps don't have the same tolerance as their redder cousins.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like it just needs to adjust to proper light, and this is normal(from my expierience.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think it is anthocyanin free. Every plant i bought from lowes last year was green as green could be. and were browning on various parts.
    Few months later after completely rebounding, none of them were all green. some were straight purple, while others were green and red.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    They do when they are grown in a cube on the bottom shelf of a poorly lit corner of the store!

xvart.
    Haha, true. Forgot it was grown in a cube. :P
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    It doesn't look like venosa to me. The lack of hair on the outside of the pitcher seems to hint at S. purpurea purpurea. And I agree with Halt: It looks like anthocyanin-free to me. The browning and drying of the pitcher is consistent with (ironically) too much direct sunlight. The anthocyanin-free purps don't have the same tolerance as their redder cousins.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    I dont think it is anthocyanin free.
    I will guarantee it is not antho free. Neither antho free purp ssp purp nor antho free luteola are in mass market TC. If they were they would not cost $100+.

Depending on who supplies the Lowes in the area it is either purp ssp. venosa, purp ssp purp x purp ssp venosa or (very unlikely but still possible) purp ssp. venosa var montana. Right now however there is simply no way to tell because it is in such poor shape from the abuse it suffered at Lowes. Once it grows out you might be able to tell better but, unless you are a diehard, there is absolutely nothing wrong with just calling it S. purpurea and leaving it at that.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I agree with your statement that it's very unlikely that Lowes would have antho-free plants, the lack of red around damaged parts suggests anthocyanin-free or a strongly green plant. But then again, I've not rescued any death cubes from Lowes, so I'll defer to the expertise of others who have.

Pitcher shape on the other hand, looks like venosa but it lacks pubescence like purpurea. Could be a cross with something northerly
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12