What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is this?

It was the only one that they had at lowes...It does not look too healthy, several ov the pitchers were brown and dead. I trimmed them back and noticed some new looking growth.
IMG_5092.jpg

Sarracenia Purpurea ssp Venosa

What are you asking. If you are asking what species, It is a purpurea. I am not sure which ssp. you may want to clip that last pitcher off once the growth gets large enough. sometimes the changes from one set of environmental conditions to another can make it sunburnt/wilted.

Agreed. S. purp venosa. It looks so sad. D: But are you sure you planted the purp right? Don't think they make their pitchers like that. :p

It might be anthocynin but its probably from Lowes not giving it enough light.

Capensis said:
Don't think they make their pitchers like that. :p

It might be etoilated? (sp??)

I thinks it is slightly deformed because the growing conditions lowe's gives the plants.

Don't think they make their pitchers like that. :p

They do when they are grown in a cube on the bottom shelf of a poorly lit corner of the store! :-))

xvart.

etiolated plant grown on the bottom of a shelf in a deathcube at lowes. Dont worry, with the proper nursing it will be fine. i rescued about 500-600$ in plants last year from lowes (got em for a good discount though, so didnt spend near that much) and managed to save a good 98% of em. only losses were a couple of D. adelae which is dont really care much about anyway XD

It doesn't look like venosa to me. The lack of hair on the outside of the pitcher seems to hint at S. purpurea purpurea. And I agree with Halt: It looks like anthocyanin-free to me. The browning and drying of the pitcher is consistent with (ironically) too much direct sunlight. The anthocyanin-free purps don't have the same tolerance as their redder cousins.

It looks like it just needs to adjust to proper light, and this is normal(from my expierience.)

I dont think it is anthocyanin free. Every plant i bought from lowes last year was green as green could be. and were browning on various parts.
Few months later after completely rebounding, none of them were all green. some were straight purple, while others were green and red.

They do when they are grown in a cube on the bottom shelf of a poorly lit corner of the store! :-))

xvart.

Haha, true. Forgot it was grown in a cube. :p

It doesn't look like venosa to me. The lack of hair on the outside of the pitcher seems to hint at S. purpurea purpurea. And I agree with Halt: It looks like anthocyanin-free to me. The browning and drying of the pitcher is consistent with (ironically) too much direct sunlight. The anthocyanin-free purps don't have the same tolerance as their redder cousins.

I dont think it is anthocyanin free.

I will guarantee it is not antho free. Neither antho free purp ssp purp nor antho free luteola are in mass market TC. If they were they would not cost $100+.

Depending on who supplies the Lowes in the area it is either purp ssp. venosa, purp ssp purp x purp ssp venosa or (very unlikely but still possible) purp ssp. venosa var montana. Right now however there is simply no way to tell because it is in such poor shape from the abuse it suffered at Lowes. Once it grows out you might be able to tell better but, unless you are a diehard, there is absolutely nothing wrong with just calling it S. purpurea and leaving it at that.

Though I agree with your statement that it's very unlikely that Lowes would have antho-free plants, the lack of red around damaged parts suggests anthocyanin-free or a strongly green plant. But then again, I've not rescued any death cubes from Lowes, so I'll defer to the expertise of others who have.

Pitcher shape on the other hand, looks like venosa but it lacks pubescence like purpurea. Could be a cross with something northerly

Back