What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complex Sarraceni Hybrids

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I recently received some Sarracenias. Some of the tags associated with them are listed not more than 'Complex Hybrid' or other descriptives that should have a more definitive registered name. These may not be the best pictures right now, as they are just settling but any help would be appreciated.

1)
Picture003-8.jpg

2)
Picture004-4.jpg

3)
Picture005-5.jpg

4)
Picture007.jpg

5)
Picture008-4.jpg

6)
Picture011-6.jpg

The first and second photos appear to be psittacina crosses. The second one in particular looking a lot like a an S x 'wriggleyana' which would be a leuco x psittacina cross.

The first plant intrigues me because in fact, I have the very same plant myself and though a nice looker, I can't seem to place it either. I've been told that if it came from a place like Orchard Supply - which it did, it's most likely a wriggleyana - however, the closed round hood does not suggest that. I suspect that maybe it's a type of S x 'formosa' which would be minor x psittacina - though generally the minor component in such crosses wins out. Another possibility is that perhaps wriggleyana was back-crossed again into psittacina and resulted in an upright (albeit short) plant that has the bright coloration of the leuco while retaining the closed, globose heads of the psittacina. However, if your plant is clone or close relative of what I've got, then it'll flower orange - which is an indication that you've got one of the green-flowering sarras in the mix: oreophila, flava or minor - of which only minor really seems to be morphologically close to what you've got.

collector_s_x_formosa.jpg

Sarracenia Formosa - Triffidpark.com.au

You'll never be likely to form a positive identification on any of these. Even if one or two should turn out to be clones of a cultivar you'll never be certain.

The best one can do is guess as to what species are mixed into them.

Just a glance at the complex hybrids (more than one species or hybrids as parents) listed on BobZ's photo finder and you can see how complex some really are.

For example:

Sarracenia x [("willisii"*minor)*purpurea purpurea]

"willisii" is a complex hybrid to begin with: [((purpurea*psittacina)*(purpurea*flava))*purpurea]

So the above would be:

S. [((((purpurea*psittacina)*(purpurea*flava))*purpurea)*minor)*purpurea ssp pururea]

There appears to be some confusion as many of the plants labeled as S. willisii obviously contain S. leucophylla.

These seem to be the real thing:
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/S_willisii1123.JPG
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/S_willisii1124.JPG

These are supposed to be S. willisii * purpurea purpurea
http://www.cpukforum.co.uk/uploader/user_uploads/willisiixminorgiantxpurppurp01.jpg
http://www.violetmount.com/June/will.jpg
Not much S. psittacina influence that I can see...

That second one sure is pretty...

In a few weeks I expect them all to put out new and better leaves and thus more definitive pictures. I realize that to positively identify them, with their variety of species involved is somewhat ridiculous. What I'm looking for is reasonable consensus. So far I have two votes of S. wriggleyana for the first two plants.

Yeah, I really like that second plant and a Hurricane Creek White (not pictured).

i vote minor x psitt for the first one. it just doesn't look robust enough for me to want to call it a wrigleyana. but, if it's tagged as a complex hybrid, then you have to assume there's more than 2 parents.

The second plant I actually had at one point, until it died. It is leucophylla x (psittacina x rubra). The same cross,incidentally, that 'Ladies in Waiting' is.

The rest of the pics just don't show enough to facilitate even a wild guess.

I LOVE ladies in waiting. Also, the first i thinks a doodlebug. I also, just ordered ladies in waiting

A week in the sun did this to the white pitcher plant:

Picture040.jpg

Hey there Jim.
These are my guesses.
Not sure which is #1 so I am going with the first picture posted.
Some kind of purp hybrid that looks like but isn't cobra nest
The leuc one is a readii cossed with your guess is as good as mine
the last pic is a wrgleyancrossed abck to a psitt
LMO

Back