What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia ID

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
I know Utricularia are difficult at best to identify without flowers. These leaves look a bit unique so maybe it's possible.

I have this labeled as both U. graminifolia and U. praelonga. They are too wide and colorful to be U. graminifolia. It's not yet growing the long leaves that characterize U. praelonga. Any ideas if it really is U. praelonga or something else? It seems to somewhat grow in clusters.

utricid.jpg

Thanks everyone,
Crystal

I do not see the leaves being too wide to be graminifolia and colour is a response to light so not a good indicator in and of itself.

Been a while since I grew terrestrials but my prealonga never grew in clusters and always had the dimorphic growth. And my grams would cluster like that.

My vote would be for graminifolia.

But I will not bet on anything till I see flowers.

You really think so Pyro? All the U. graminifolia I've ever seen have had very very narrow bright green leaves...unless I have yet another unidentified Utricularia.

I had 3 or 4 different clones of gram, some were thin leaved and some were broad, it is a pretty pleomorphic species.

I also had 2 clones of dichotoma that came to me labeled as gram so you might want to consider that as well. I was never able to trace the main source for those mislabeled plants but I was able to relay it back tot he people who sent to me originally. I had hoped it worked its way back to the main source but it may never have.

That's really interesting. I didn't realize they could come in so many different forms. I'm used to the all green, narrow leafed form of D. graminifolia. Now I'm wondering if the thinned leafed version is really something else as well. They have never bloomed for me in the 2-3 years that I've had them, so it makes it difficult.

I guess I'm back to square one, with more than just that species now.

Thanks Pyro,
Crystal

Try photoperiod and temp fluctuation to get them to flower. And allow them to dry a little between waterings. Always worked for me.

Will do, thanks for the tips!

No worries

I've never grown U. graminifolia, so I wouldn't know if that is it - but I can see why someone would think that is U. praelonga.

My vote is for U. praelonga, cause mine clumps just like that. Maybe mine is mis-ID'd though?

May I ask who you got it from? (Please don't pm me, email me if you have to)

Emailed you Jeff.

Got it, thanks. So if we do have the same clone/variation it has managed to get around a bit under the name "U. praelonga".

Got yours as well, thanks.

It's looking like we may have the same clone and/or variation. If that's the case, it's probably been passed around quite a bit, which is bad if it's really U. graminifolia or even something else. I'm guessing you haven't seen any flowers yet either from them.

U. praelonga has always been generous with producing both forms of 'leaves' for me, so a pot that size with growth all over and NO long thin grass like leaves sticking up makes me highly suspicious that it isn't U. praelonga.

U. graminifolia will change form too depending on the water level. When it's drier it will form little clumps like that but when it's submerged or nearly so it will make longer narrow leaves that lay more horizontal. Mine have always been a bright green as you mention but maybe it's just an oddball clone? Or maybe it's something else entirely!

If it helps, here are old pictures from the collection:

IMG_0025.jpg
U. dichotoma

IMG_0016.jpg
U. gram...

Apparently, I don't have a picture fro U. praelonga, anymore.

My vote would be for Utric. praelonga, here is a picture of what I have labeled as praelonga. I have not flowered it yet, but it does have that odd second leaf thingie so I'm pretty sure its praelonga. Also My granimifolia looks nothing like this guy, and tends to grow in more of a runner fashion.

a>

I apparently have some U. praelonga in my second U. graminifolia pot. It looks like there are two completely different Utrics in there. I know it's for sure U. praelonga because it's producing leaves about 2-4" long. The other produces small, bright green leaves like I'd expect to see from U. graminifolia until I made this thread lol.

Thanks for the pictures Jim. My U. dichotoma looks like yours ???.

I had to remember where I put the picture. Is this U. praelonga? It's labeled as U. graminifolia. I have something funny going on with my Utric pots apparently ???.
IMG_2441.jpg

As far as I know the only Utric. with 2 types of leaves is praelonga, and that looks like what I have labeled as praelonga.

Either way the last picture is not granimifolia, I've actually looked at my bladders under a microscope and what I have is granimifolia. You can check out http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115965 for some pictures of my plant. Which look just like Jimscott's.

Actually I think there's a previous thread saying hispida and humboldtii among others have multiple kinds of leaves!

The other macro utrics have 2 different types of leaves too.

Crystal -- you have praelonga for sure. ;)

Back