What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well hello sailor!

mystery-pitcher.jpg

So this handsome little fella appeared in my growth container after it got a good dusting from a Dunecraft CP plant seed packet as well as some Darlingtonia seeds.

Any ideas?

Your pic doesn't seem to want to load.

Jason

Too early to tell, but it might be Nepenthes, Heliamphora, or Triphyophyllum! LOL!

Looks like a Sarracenia. Too early to tell for sure.

Sorry, my PC BSODed, and my webserver is based on my home system.

That's a Sarracenia seedling, but way too early to even guess what species.

Looked to me like some sort of American pitcher plant.

Hm, darn. I was hoping they had distinctive markings before they got too old. :) Ah well, I'll take good care of him and we'll try again in 6~ months or so. :D

My sarracenia seedlings (that are also unlabeled) look exactly like that, so i guess we'll have to wait for mature pitchers to tell which species it is.

You might be able to tell in six months ... but don't count on it.

Like everyone said, no real firm guesses can be made.

But I like to shoot the breeze. I'm saying S. minor or S. rubra since I know those dunecraft kits supposedly contain both those species.

Jason

Neat little seedling you got there. I´d like to guess S. leuco for some odd reason, but again, it´s way too early to guess. Good luck with it! :D

Personally, I'm hoping for Sarracenia psittacina, but I somewhat doubt it. ;) I heard you can skip out on dormancy the first year, that sound about right?

Personally, I'm hoping for Sarracenia psittacina, but I somewhat doubt it. ;) I heard you can skip out on dormancy the first year, that sound about right?

Actually, you can go 2 or 3 years under lights before doing dormancy.

Jason

Personally, I'm hoping for Sarracenia psittacina, but I somewhat doubt it. I heard you can skip out on dormancy the first year, that sound about right?

I hope it is psittacina. Otherwise it looks like your media is way too wet. A general rule of thumb is that if you can press down and see a pool of water for a long time, then it is too wet. If you press down and the water quickly gets sucked back up then you are OK. I have no idea where I read that at though.

Of course, psittacina breaks that mold and can live partially submerged in the wild.

Back