Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarr ID

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to 'label' it red bug. Because I just looked for the bug series. Is that accurate?
    This is just a question, Do you think I should repot it to a larger pot. Does this hybrid grow faster and spread. Also, a general question about purpurea hybrid: Do they need some water in the pitchers, or will the other plant in the hybrid digest?
    Also, is the bug series rare, or is it very common.

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by watnazn View Post
    I was going to 'label' it red bug.
    you shouldnt label something if you arent absoutely sure it belongs with that label..
    someday you might want to sell it..you will have forgetten where the label came from, and someone will end up with a Red Bug that isnt a real Red Bug..
    this happens all the time..many plants are mis-labeled and sold (or innocently traded) as something they are not..its not good.

(yes, I know about cultivar descriptions and all that.."it only has to match the description"..IMO that is irrelevant..even with the screwey cultivar rules, its still wrong IMO to label something if you cant be 100% sure of the label..)

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    you shouldnt label something if you arent absoutely sure it belongs with that label..
    someday you might want to sell it..you will have forgetten where the label came from, and someone will end up with a Red Bug that isnt a real Red Bug..
    this happens all the time..many plants are mis-labeled and sold (or innocently traded) as something they are not..its not good.

(yes, I know about cultivar descriptions and all that.."it only has to match the description"..IMO that is irrelevant..even with the screwey cultivar rules, its still wrong IMO to label something if you cant be 100% sure of the label..)

Scot
    I agree 100%
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also agree that you shouldnt label it, just put Sarracenia purpurea hybrid, or minor hybrid...its got both of those atleast im somewhat sure, unless its minor by psittacina then flava or something since it seems to have the psittacina clumping complex LOL.
    We have the same issue with neps, and its really annoying to see people say
    ITS DEFINITELY "insert name" without any knowledge on the plants background, or even saying names of plants that it clearly is not.
    So do the CP community a favor and just label it as an unknown hybrid
    we dont need anymore misslabeled plants floating around
    There is a list somewhere in one of the stickies of known plants carried at Home Depot, but still....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the picture was only of a leaf and he didn't provide information about where it came from I would say "unkown Sarracenia hybrid". Given that its not seed grown and that it was purchased very recently it narrows down the possibilities dramatically. I am 100% sure that it is a slightly etiolated "doodle bug" or "love bug".

Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    i also agree that you shouldnt label it, just put Sarracenia purpurea hybrid, or minor hybrid...its got both of those atleast im somewhat sure, unless its minor by psittacina then flava or something since it seems to have the psittacina clumping complex LOL.
    We have the same issue with neps, and its really annoying to see people say
    ITS DEFINITELY "insert name" without any knowledge on the plants background, or even saying names of plants that it clearly is not.
    So do the CP community a favor and just label it as an unknown hybrid
    we dont need anymore misslabeled plants floating around
    There is a list somewhere in one of the stickies of known plants carried at Home Depot, but still....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought they did not sell any of the bug series at home depot or lowes because they were trademarked names and sold only through a few vendors or something along those lines?
    i still would not toss a name on it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post

Scot
    That is why i asked Is that accurate. Because a lot of people are sure its the bug series, I think that they would be confident in their answer if not they would'nt wright anything. I haven't labeled anything, I was just asking to see if anyone knew what the plant was. I'm not new to carnivorous plants, I know not to label something that I'm not sure, I was asking for the specifics of the plant thats all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say with any confidence what is is, but I'm all but certain it isn't 'Red Bug.' I have one and when the pitchers are coloring up, there is very prominent red veining on the outside and inside of the pitchers.

EDIT: actually, I'll put a hold on that verdict. When your pitchers color up a bit more, post another pic and show me. Mine has changed its pattern a bit since I first got it. Here's a pic of what mine looked like on day one:

Jason

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast