What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr ID

I got this at home depot, it was all green at first, an I don't think it has very mature pitchers.
Any info would be helpful, approx age, if the pitchers will get larger, If they will develop more color.
PICT0008-2.jpg

PICT0006-1.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0014-2.jpg

When I first got the plant
PICT0003.jpg

PICT0010-1.jpg

I'm thinking it has some purpurea.
Thanks.

I'm not a real expert on Sarracenia, but I think that plant might be of the "Bug" series or maybe S. minor. Just a hunch though :)

Hope it grows well for you!

Perhaps one of the 'bug' series? I'm not really sure.

What is the "bug" series haha. And it is not a s. minor, I have one of those too, Its actually in the background of the first picture when the plant was green
thanks

You will never know exactly what it is..
all you can say is that its a "mixed hybrid"..
anything else is just guesswork..sorry..

its VERY mixed..
at least three species in there..probably more..
if I had to guess at three, I would say flava, rubra and purpurea..
but thats just a guess! ;)
maybe some minor too, for the hood shape..

whatever you"decide" it is..please dont put any kind of official label or tag on it..
because you cant be sure..

Scot

It has a very 'Cobra nest' appearance I think but I wouldnt call it that just yet. There's a few characteristics that arent exactly like Cobra nest. I would wait until you get some more mature pitchers and update us.

For now and possibly the entirety of the plant's life it'd be best to label it as 'unknown'.

I was going to 'label' it red bug. Because I just looked for the bug series. Is that accurate?
This is just a question, Do you think I should repot it to a larger pot. Does this hybrid grow faster and spread. Also, a general question about purpurea hybrid: Do they need some water in the pitchers, or will the other plant in the hybrid digest?
Also, is the bug series rare, or is it very common.

thanks

I was going to 'label' it red bug.

you shouldnt label something if you arent absoutely sure it belongs with that label..
someday you might want to sell it..you will have forgetten where the label came from, and someone will end up with a Red Bug that isnt a real Red Bug..
this happens all the time..many plants are mis-labeled and sold (or innocently traded) as something they are not..its not good.

(yes, I know about cultivar descriptions and all that.."it only has to match the description"..IMO that is irrelevant..even with the screwey cultivar rules, its still wrong IMO to label something if you cant be 100% sure of the label..)

Scot

you shouldnt label something if you arent absoutely sure it belongs with that label..
someday you might want to sell it..you will have forgetten where the label came from, and someone will end up with a Red Bug that isnt a real Red Bug..
this happens all the time..many plants are mis-labeled and sold (or innocently traded) as something they are not..its not good.

(yes, I know about cultivar descriptions and all that.."it only has to match the description"..IMO that is irrelevant..even with the screwey cultivar rules, its still wrong IMO to label something if you cant be 100% sure of the label..)

Scot

I agree 100%

i also agree that you shouldnt label it, just put Sarracenia purpurea hybrid, or minor hybrid...its got both of those atleast im somewhat sure, unless its minor by psittacina then flava or something since it seems to have the psittacina clumping complex LOL.
We have the same issue with neps, and its really annoying to see people say
ITS DEFINITELY "insert name" without any knowledge on the plants background, or even saying names of plants that it clearly is not.
So do the CP community a favor and just label it as an unknown hybrid :)
we dont need anymore misslabeled plants floating around :)
There is a list somewhere in one of the stickies of known plants carried at Home Depot, but still....

If the picture was only of a leaf and he didn't provide information about where it came from I would say "unkown Sarracenia hybrid". Given that its not seed grown and that it was purchased very recently it narrows down the possibilities dramatically. I am 100% sure that it is a slightly etiolated "doodle bug" or "love bug".

i also agree that you shouldnt label it, just put Sarracenia purpurea hybrid, or minor hybrid...its got both of those atleast im somewhat sure, unless its minor by psittacina then flava or something since it seems to have the psittacina clumping complex LOL.
We have the same issue with neps, and its really annoying to see people say
ITS DEFINITELY "insert name" without any knowledge on the plants background, or even saying names of plants that it clearly is not.
So do the CP community a favor and just label it as an unknown hybrid :)
we dont need anymore misslabeled plants floating around :)
There is a list somewhere in one of the stickies of known plants carried at Home Depot, but still....

I thought they did not sell any of the bug series at home depot or lowes because they were trademarked names and sold only through a few vendors or something along those lines?
i still would not toss a name on it...

Scot
That is why i asked Is that accurate. Because a lot of people are sure its the bug series, I think that they would be confident in their answer if not they would'nt wright anything. I haven't labeled anything, I was just asking to see if anyone knew what the plant was. I'm not new to carnivorous plants, I know not to label something that I'm not sure, I was asking for the specifics of the plant thats all.

I can't say with any confidence what is is, but I'm all but certain it isn't 'Red Bug.' I have one and when the pitchers are coloring up, there is very prominent red veining on the outside and inside of the pitchers.

EDIT: actually, I'll put a hold on that verdict. When your pitchers color up a bit more, post another pic and show me. Mine has changed its pattern a bit since I first got it. Here's a pic of what mine looked like on day one:

Jason

The "Little Bug" series of plants are patented/patent pending/Trade Marked. If it was not labeled as such it is either not the real thing or cloned illegally. Labeling a plant that is not the real deal would probably be a trade mark violation.

Thanks to you both for the info. :)

Back