What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rescue Sarracenias from Home Depot

thez_yo

instigator
I know there's a Lowes/Home Depot rescue thread, but I just want to make sure I know what I have with pictures. I was wondering if you could help me ID? I think the spotted one is an S. minor, the veiny one is an S. purpurea sp venosa, the totally green on is an S. flava, and the red small ones - I have no idea. Some of them look a little chopped up because they had hopelessly fried ends because my humidity isn't where they'd like it to be. They just sit outside on the back stairs in the full sun. I believe the sundew to be a plain old regular cape sundew too, and the VFT is all green and angry/melty because of I don't know why :crap:.

P9250225.jpg

P9250226.jpg

Think those might be rubras you have in that picture of browned tops...

Think those might be rubras you have in that picture of browned tops...

Thanks for the ID!
:blush:
In the store, they're in the dark (no direct sunshine) and are all green...maybe they want 3 hours or so less sun to not be crispy-fried, or maybe just less heat.

follow up that ID with someone else on this thread jsut to be sure. Just going by what I know. I believe I know home depot's supplier, which looking at their site, and based on the pitcher formation, is either a rubra or flava I think. Full sun should be fine, just continuously most soil is necessary. Maybe their going dormant or just adjusting. Probably adjusting....

I would wait for the all green one and chopped up ones to make better pitchers (if dormancy doesn't get to it first) to get a good ID. I don't think the chopped up one is rubra, seems like a hybrid to me.

I would wait for the all green one and chopped up ones to make better pitchers (if dormancy doesn't get to it first) to get a good ID. I don't think the chopped up one is rubra, seems like a hybrid to me.

you're talking about this one being/not-being a hybrid, right?

P9250235.jpg

The green one that had its lids fried totally off definitely looks a lot like the tall green ones from the tropical house at Balboa Park - here's a picture of the bog at the park:

P5150021.jpg

because it doesn't have a frilly top, and it's really thin and tall in comparison to the others. I'll wait on the weather to cool down here to see what else they make...hopefully that doesn't mean they'll quit entirely and I'll have to wait until spring. Hopefully 50's is low enough for them in the winter to get some dormancy in, otherwise they might be spending some time in the fridge...

Yes, that one. That is definitely a hybrid. Of what, I don't know. But I would say that it's safe to ID the green one S. flava.

I belief that home depot sells it as cobras nest, and I have the same plant. I got a s. minor, and a vft there too.

I belief that home depot sells it as cobras nest, and I have the same plant. I got a s. minor, and a vft there too.

Hmm...that would actually make sense because I've seen some sellers have cobra's nest before and this one has the same red color all over it. Thanks!

Do you happen to know what kind of Butterworts they sell? I picked up one of the poor guys, promptly fried it in the sun, and have since moved it to live atop my microwave for recovery in relative shade where it finally has a little rosette of leaves.

EDIT: it's a P. "titan"

Last edited:
Hold on there, 'Cobra's Nest' is a patented plant. If you bought it from a legitimate source it should be professionally labeled as such. If not, do not assume it is 'Cobra's Nest'.

Hold on there, 'Cobra's Nest' is a patented plant. If you bought it from a legitimate source it should be professionally labeled as such. If not, do not assume it is 'Cobra's Nest'.

It's one of these, from the clear plastic rectangle boxes:

flytrap Home Depot Sarracenias

They sell a couple different "brands" of carnivorous plants in little clear plastic boxes/containers here. Unfortunately, I've never seen any neps :-(.

Yep, ur plant actually looked identical to mine.

I need to check my local Home Depot to see if they have any plants for sale.

Back