What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Drosera unknowns - need ID please

Hi there,

I have two drosera unknowns that were sent to me and I forgot to label. Any thoughts would be appreciated. If possible, please post links to other examples of the plant that you believe this is.

Drosera unknown #1:

droseraunknown1.jpg

Drosera unknown #2:

droseraunknown2.jpg

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

First one almost looks like it has the texture of D. filiformis or Drosophyllum and the second one looks like a D. spatulata of D. aliciae ( spelling is horrible on that one) haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does look like Drosophyllum, but I'm pretty sure it's not. The second, I got from someone as part of a trade. Since I already have D. aliciae, it's unlikely that I would have traded for it, but it's certainly a good guess.

Because of the internodal distances, I'm going to say a Byblis for picture 1. I would need a top-down photo before I could guess on picture 2.

-Hermes.

Because of the internodal distances, I'm going to say a Byblis for picture 1. I would need a top-down photo before I could guess on picture 2.

-Hermes.

Yeah, I thought about it. I'm not ruling out the possibility, though I have no idea where I would have picked up a Byblis seed.

I'm very sure the first one is a Drosera indica. That species looks very similar to a Byblis or Drosophylum.

Drosera indica! That's what it is! Now I remember receiving a small packet from Crissytal when I purchased something else from her! Good ID! :)

One down, one to go.

Not sure, but the last one reminds me of Drosera brevifolia.

Here's another shot of that Drosera. It might help with ID. The pot is 2 3/4" for reference.

droseraunknown3.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Not sure, but the last one reminds me of Drosera brevifolia.

Thanks Ant. I think it's a little large to be D. brevifolia. Plus it appears to be perennial.

Ugg.....ummmm.....!

D. venusta? I've seen some adult venusta as big as that. Maybe.....maybe not. I suck at this mystery stuff.

It could be D. spatulata, D. venusta, or D. dielsiana but my vote's on a D. spatulata.

Hi Brokken,

The first one looks like D indica "green form" and the second looks like D. venusta (with some D. burmannii and a D. intermedia hitchhiker..) :grin:

Happy Growing,

Brian.

Repeating what drosera5150 said, the other one is D. venusta "coccicaulis", which i sent you ;)

has the specimen in pic #2 flowered yet? I could post a pic of my alice sundew flowering for reference if you like..

That is a D. venusta for SURE. The flower stalk proves it. The leaves can be shaped like D. spatulata.

I grow many D. venusta in varying locations. That one doesn't get much light.

Definitely S. flava, S. rubra subsp. alabamensis, S. oreophila or a hybrid of any or all of those. Maybe with some S. alata in it. Wooo! Hope all is well, just thought a little joke was in order!

Back