Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia id plz...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Utricularia nephrophylla is the most likely assessment.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tamlin: thanks for your input---unfortunately, i do not think the plant i have in question is U. nephrophylla, the reason being that ii have a culture of U. nephrophylla as well in my collection. the leaves of U. nephrophylla are much MUCH smaller than the plant i have in question.

@swords: found out that DD's U. quelchii may have originated from the person that i originally purchased from--however, DD also sells tubers of the plant, from which i understand, only orchidioides Utrics produce, so my original plant may very well be U. quelchii. however right now it's behaving in a manner that screams U. tricolor to me.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you could ask the owner of this site, he has 3 varieties.
    http://www.utricularien.de/frame.htm
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    i seriously am beginning to suspect that most U. quelchii in the US is not the real deal ...
    Even if some of the U. quelchii currently being shared is actually U. tricolor, there are still other growers with the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    i've been asking around from site to site and have gotten no replies. i have a few questions:
    1) does anybody know if U. quelchii has a differing juvenile and adult leaves?
    2) how long does it take for U. quelchii to produce adult leaves
    3) does anybody have photos of growth in progress for U. quelchii ?
    Question #1, the following pics are from a clump of absolute, definite, verified U. quelchii (I received the clump from a reputable European supplier & it had 2 ~6" leaves exactly shaped as seen in pics of adult plants. The plant went downhill & I now only have small remnants from the original).

The leaves on the left are thicker & darker green (similar to those in pics shared by Av). The ones on the right are much lighter in color & more variable in shape. The ones on the right also have a more extensive underground stolon network than the ones on the left.

Question #2 - I don't know (having not raised an immature plant to adulthood) but I've got to believe that it would highly depend on the conditions. Some idea could probably be inferred from Rattler's recent U. alpina 'Pittier moon' flower experience.

Question #3 - I believe that you can see various growth stages in pics from Bob Z's photofinder.

@Taliesin-DS - I believe that Nicole is a 'she'.

In adding some U. quelchii clones to my collection - it seems that I've also added two U. tricolor -looking plants from independent sources .... It'll be interesting to see how they develop.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure there are many variations but FWIW

Please excuse the poor google Czech to English translation...

Botanical description

Utricularia quelchii

Underground shoots in small numbers , relatively thick , branched , to 20 cm long , 0.5 - 1 mm thick , sometimes ztlustlé at the base and the nodes, which produce spherical tubers up to 1 cm long .

Assimilation shoots number of thin ( 1 - more ) maturing on base or in some nodes of underground shoots . Are long petiolate , the blade is obovate with the wedge base and rounded top, up to 2 cm wide , about 1 mm thick , mnohonervá , kožovitá , total length 10 cm.

Traps (vesicles) numerous relatively long vlásečnicových branched ends of underground shoots , round , 0.6 - 1 mm long , shortly pedunculated , the mouth of the basal two backward curved short šídlovitými growths .

All vegetative parts (except the leaf petiole and distal ) and growth of base more or less covered with a mixture of spherical and sedentary shortly conical glands .

Utricularia quelchii
    Inflorescence erect , 7-20 cm long , peduncle conical rod , altissima , in upper arcade , a strong 0.5 to 1.2 mm .

Listen to adherent base , ovoid or narrowly ovoid with a blurred peak , 3-4 mm long .

Listénce narrowly ovate, as long or slightly longer than the bracts , based nesrostlé with prophyll .

Flowers 1 or 2 , kvění stems upright , oval in transverse section , 0.8 to 2.5 cm long .

Chalice mouth same , broadly ovate , 1 - 1.8 cm long , with a purple tinge of maturity .

Crown 3-4 cm long , much pink-red with yellow spot at base of lower lip . Upper lip broadly obovate with a rounded top , much shorter than calyx. Edge of lower lip transversely oval in outline , up to 4 inches wide with a rounded top. Edge of the floor a little backwater . Spurl šídlovitá from narrowly conical base with a blunt peak , more than the lower lip, the middle more or less strongly curved, the top ( peak ) Arcade 1.5 - 2 mm thick and in the direction of lower lip . curved rods , about 2.5 mm long , prašníková bush expressive . Ovary oval , shorter boom , the bottom tip of stigma shorter severed , the upper tip ( lobe ) less trojúhlý .

Capsule very broadly ovoid, nearly spherical, with indirect shuttle belly , approximately 6 mm long , the same firm texture and bursting blanitá single longitudinal slit .

Seeds numerous , closely spindle cone , about 0.8 mm long , the entire pollen always tetrádách

Sources used
    Taylor , Peter , The Genus Utricularia - and taxonomic Monograph , 1989
    http://www.darwiniana.cz/vamr/?page=rostlina&id=15
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 08-24-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RL: totally agree with you---you and av8tor are two examples of that i meant more along the lines of U. quelchii being circulated within the US and not from outside sources...
    something that i observed about your U. quelchii : although the colors of the leaves may have changed, the leaves still exhibit that obovate shape whereas mine resembles along the lines of a obicular/reniform shape.
    @av8tor: thanks a lot for that descriptor. --would have been a pain to buy that textbook...
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is starting to show many of the described characteristics

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @av: i might pester you when you have some U. quelchii to spare your leaves appear to be very thick where as mine are thin. dont know of any environmental factors that would cause this. i'll take an updated photo of mine currently for a comparison.

does anybody have any orchidioides which exhibit juvenile and adult leaves? i've never heard of any Utric exhibiting juvenile and adult leaves until i purchased a U. quelchii. for the longest time, i thought Utrics made out the same relatively consistent leaf shape from seed (the first primitive leaves being the exception). i know rattler said his U. alpina looked like U. livida for a time. care to share pics?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast