Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia id plz...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just an update, got an email back from nicole:
    "The pictures is not so good, but for me that doesn’t look like U. quelchii. The young leaves of U. quelchii are more narrow… That looks like U. tricolor (90%) or something else… You’ve got two options: wait for the flower or microscope the traps! ;-)"

she also mentioned that she had at least 5 variants of U. quelchii in her possession at one time or another so im betting she knows her stuff. im going to try to contact both people whom i've purchased from---hope to get this mess sorted out. i might need some help (bay area folks in particular--since im betting we all got ours from the same source) if i get no response---well, i think that raises a bright sanguine flag in the air.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of the ebayers selling "U. quelchii" have seen it flower, the seller who always uses the same pic of the U. quelchii on the picnic table claims his makes tubers and "leaves look way different than U. tricolor" however, none of us think so. I'm betting what he's done is grow the two close together and tricolor invaded his quelchii pot (If indeed he even has it). And if the guy who never uses photos got his from that guy, well then there we are...

But the no-picture guy has posted "U. quelchii" tubers for sale, of course, who knows what they are really tubers of... If you haven't contacted these guys yet tell em about this topic, see if they'll come here with pics and prove us wrong. I forgot to mention it when I contacted the picnic table picture guy last week.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    potatoes?

What would we be looking for on the traps under a scope? Also what level of magnification? Might be able to help out. I have U. tricolor and can see what it has as I have some for certain U. tricolor. Seems all the for certain U. quelchii seem to have more up right leaves and U. tricolor bends at a 90 degree angle at soil level
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    progression of my U. alpina from seedlings to blooming....cant tell yah the span of time between other than i received the seed roughly 4 years ago

thats my finger to the left

cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @kulamaui: i've asked Nicole the same question. hope to hear from her as well. i'll be looking at my U. qulechii sample under the scope as well. (pays to work at a biotech lab that is currently working on a project involving PCR micro-reactors)

@swords: did that.

@rattler: thanks for your pics. from what i can pool from nicole and you, is that most if not all orchidioides Utrics create narrow strapped shaped leaves when young, then become more spathulate/cuneate as they mature.

oh and another thing, is everybody's "U. quelchii" staying low to the ground instead of trying to extend upwards?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    What would we be looking for on the traps under a scope? Also what level of magnification?
    Nicole started an ambitious project a while back to illustrate the leaves, flowers & traps of all utric species. On the actual web page, she does have pics of both U. quelchii & U. tricolor traps. If you ask, she may be able to share others....

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    ..... is that most if not all orchidioides utrics create narrow strapped shaped leaves when young, then become more spathulate/cuneate as they mature.
    Although it's probably obvious, U. reniformis, U. nelumbifolia & U. nephrophylla differ. In addition U. humboldtii often forms fern-like leaves prior to their more 'normal' Orchidioides-style.

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    oh and another thing, is everybody's "U. quelchii" staying low to the ground instead of trying to extend upwards?
    So far - both of my U. tricolor imitators are ...
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic link RL - Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so here it goes:
    first i will show you nicole's photos with highlighted characteristics:
    U. quelchii:

U. tricolor:

and here are mine:
    from AH (skiier)

and from DD

while DD does have a slight extension on the bladder, it does not have spherical sized extensions (at least at the size that we expect to see according to nicole's pictures. plus the extension may appear to be so because of the angle at which the image was taken.

i've come to the conclusion that both are U. tricolor. what are your opinions?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast