Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Utricularia id plz...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up some of what I think is this plant from the auction. The possible U. quelchii. I'm having a bit different growth than some of you so I thought I'd offer my input.

Parts of the Utric I have look just like the photo on the first page, parts do not. I have variation of leaf shapes over 4-6 pots of that Utric. I also have some vining, which I have never experienced with tricolor. There is a bad photo of this below, that vine is approx 10" or so and growing. I'm now just starting to get some more Orchidioides type baby leaves growing out of the bottom of one of the pots, its only about 1/2" tall and 1/4" round (yes round) right now but there is hope.

I have not examined the bladders yet because I don't want to disrupt them.

I have a U. humboltii with an adult leaf with two U. tricolor shaped leaf right next to it, the leaves are taller and have some texture but the shape is perfect.

Anyway here are two photo's of the oddish growth, given similair conditions my U. tricolor do not grow anything like that.

Note the long vining growth with no leaves/bladders it is from the Utric. Sorry for the bad photo's, not alot of time tonight.

Here is a good view of the multi-shaped leaves. Growing out of the same plant.

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i really dont know what to say about that. that's the strangest thing i've ever seen.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    i really dont know what to say about that. that's the strangest thing i've ever seen.
    The vine I'm guessing is looking for another "bromeliad", its about to hit a moist piece of driftwood so that may trigger some leaves/bladders.

The multi-shaped leaves have never been odd for me and Orchidioides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird!

Last night I moved my "U. quelchii" to a 3" net pot instead of the cube, I'm thinking that perhaps the drier conditions will change its growth a bit and hopefully get it spreading through the media in search of more moisture to give me more material to play around with. After 2 months I still only have 5 leaves and 1 - 1 1 /2" of roots while the U. tricolor has filled its container of the same size in that time.

While I was moving it I had a look at the roots and traps, they are definitely larger in diameter than the roots and traps which are visible against the side of my tricolor terrarium.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering how many of you are growing your "U. quelchii" or other larger Utrics in cooler temps?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i do. along with the highland Neps and Helis.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I'm wondering how many of you are growing your "U. quelchii" or other larger Utrics in cooler temps?
    I'm trying ... I grow my 'highlanders' in my basement. The sensitive ones suffer in the summer (like N. jamban & D. schizandra) but tend to thrive the rest of the year. I've also found that some 'sensitive' plants really aren't very sensitive at all (ie: I kept N. hamata year round in my office tank & it thrived). I haven't seen any 'sensitivity' with U. humboldtii, U. nelumbifolia & U. reniformis (in fact I'll probably start a new thread to share some surprising info on U. reniformis).

Otoh I got off on the wrong foot with my 1st U. quelchii and haven't yet recovered. Once it 'crashed' last year a few months after I received it, I've been trying to nurse small living fragments back to life - mostly unsuccessfully (although my 'outsourcing' program is going well) ...
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Note the long vining growth with no leaves/bladders it is from the Utric.
    Man that looks like an aerial stolon from a U. humboldtii or U. nelumbifolia - I've got them all over (but not on U. quelchii / U. tricolor). According to Wiki, U. quelchii grows '...and sometimes in the water-filled leaf axils of the bromeliad Brocchinia species." If that's true, maybe they have a quasi-latent ability to use the wandering aerial stolons to relocate ... very interesting! The plot continues to thicken ...
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does U. longifolia count as larger?
    I have it on my windowsill were it gets as low as 50f every night.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-20-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast