What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia id plz...

In just a few days of moving my "U. quelchii" to a net pot and no standing water it's already produced a runner with a couple tiny leaves from the side of the pot.
Maybe I've been keeping it far too wet and now it'll move faster. Can only hope!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that I'm wrong but as I watch my plants grow (2 'sold-as' U. quelchii, 2 'real' U. quelchii, U. tricolor & other U. foliosa), it is getting harder to avoid the conclusion that the plants in question are indeed tricolor & not U. quelchii ...

- while the leaf shape is not definitive, none of the pics (or my plants) appear identical to young U. quelchii & none have shown the characteristic thick leaf found in typical U. quelchii (incl Av's) pics
- both of my imitators are growing faster than any other Orchidioides / Iperua in my collection.
- close-up pics of the traps seem to be definitive for a tricolor ID
- the ebay seller is using a pic of U. quelchii that is unrelated to the plants he is selling. DD procured his plants from this person & neither have seen adult leaves or blooms. (are both statements true?)
- Nicole states that she is 90% certain of a U. tricolor identification
- Section foliosa utrics are notoriously invasive ... (which provides a possible explanation - assuming that the potential mis-identification was not deliberate)
- U. tricolor has significant variability in leaf shape. Some U. tricolor 'escaped' into the bottom of my 'little weed utric tank' a while ago. I keep relocating other pots to keep them away from possible infiltration (I really need to strip the tank...). Here are some examples of the non-typical leaves (in the 4th pic - also notice the thin leaf resting on a typical - bottom right):

Utricolorvariant1RS.jpg

Utricolorvariant2RS.jpg

Utricolorvariant3RS.jpg

Utricolorvariant4RS.jpg

UtricolorvariantRS.jpg

------------------------------------------ Later edit...
On a somewhat related (& ironic) note, I just received an order of somewhat-difficult-to-find-in-USA Utrics from Europe and what shape are the immature U. geminiloba leaves? Yup ...
Ugeminiloba092510RS.jpg

Maybe we all have U. geminiloba - I'd wanted that one too! LOL

if we have U. geminiloba, that would make me feel a LOT better. however.... U. tricolor ....:cuss:

Maybe we all have U. geminiloba - I'd wanted that one too! LOL
Earlier during this discussion, I'd emailed a few 'experts' on utrics to try to get them to share their thoughts. One of them, apparently being uncharacteristically shy, responded via email that the plants in question cannot yet be identified because they currently look like any number of species when immature. The pic of U. geminiloba is just an example of this.

On the possibility of everyone's plants now being U. geminiloba: if you were in the market for an expensive / unusual / uncommon watch - which is the more likely scenario?

- you purchased a Rolex and later found out that it was actually a Timex in disguise.
- you purchased a Timex and later found out that it was actually a Rolex in disguise.

Hmmmm .... :scratch:

LOL I was only being silly. I'm quite resigned to it being U. tricolor, just a slow growing version of it.

LOL. i mean sob sob sob.....

Well I'm now in the Utricularia tricolor camp, I just found the same type of vining growth coming out of one of my U. tricolor, I put some U. tricolor underwater a while ago and its producing the same type of leaves I've had with this plant. It seems you can grow this plant and U. tricolor as an aquatic :crazy:. At least for a few months so far, they are still growing fine so far.

I believe it was simply me treating my U. tricolor as terrestrials that made them seem different than this plant. Once I started treating a U. tricolor like an Orchidioides (more humidity, more air to medium, not standing in water, more attention on a weekly basis, more air movement) they are looking more and more similair.

Without something very compelling I'm voting U. tricolor.

I have to wonder how much of this plant has made its way into peoples hands that will sell/trade it as U. quechii when it is very likely a much more common weed :censor:.

Here are some pics of my U. quelchii :

Without something very compelling I'm voting U. tricolor.
This past week, one of my two U. tricolor/U. quelchii produced a thin, wavy leaf exactly like my adult U. tricolor. This form of leaf was what I was waiting for to confirm in my mind that, yes, this is indeed U. tricolor and not U. quelchii. I've never heard of nor seen a pic of a thin, wavy-leaf U. quelchii. A flower would be conclusive but as we know, U. tricolor is not abundantly floriforous for most of us ... :headwall:

looks like there's going to be a flux of trade/give away U. tricolor in the next couple of weeks. :p

I don't have U. tricolor yet ^^

Back