What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The guess that unknown plant game!

Hi guys, sometime last year I bought a "grab bag" pot of Utricularia online. Well, It has started to flower! So now I need some help IDing. Right now, on the U. sandersonii has flowered right now (that one was prety easy to figure out ;)) I also Think there is a U. longifolia in there too, but I'm not sure. I know just from the different leaves that there is another species or two in there also, and I will post pictures of their flowers when they bloom. (That is the best way to ID them, right?)
Here is the pot
dsci04693.jpg

dsci0469.jpg

and here is a bad shot of the unknown flower
dsci04692.jpg

Some sundews also hitchedhiked in with the plant, which I have no clue what it is.
Here it is in their new pot
dsci0470g.jpg

dsci0470w.jpg

Any help would be welcome,
William

The utrics are sandersonii and bisquamata. The dew reminds me of venusta, but it could be a number of things.

The sundew on the far right is d. capensis 'alba'

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

@ Clue, its not venusta.

look like natalensis to me. and it looks like a lot of different utric leaves in there.

I'm not seeing any U. longifolia.

We can't assume that, yet. It just recently sprouted. I've even had my Capensis 'red' look like an alba at one point. :I

I agree with clue, that flower is of U. Bisquamata

The two larger rosettes remind me of mine... care to hazard a guess? :-O

It does have the wide petiole that i associate with venusta, but the leaf tip appears a bit too round. D.venusta grown under my conditions has very blunt leaf tips. Also seems to be a bit small/young to be putting out a flower. Maybe D. natalensis, D. dielsiana or a D. spatulata. I am sort of troubled with pinning down, as the older flowers seem to be running horizontal to the soil. Dont see that with my dielsiana. Cant say with natalensis mine haven't bloomed. Have seen similar with D. spatulata 'Kanto'. Any pics of the flowers? Color of flowers and how tall were they?

Also, what conditions are you growing them under? inside, under lights, etc.....

It does have the wide petiole that i associate with venusta, but the leaf tip appears a bit too round. D.venusta grown under my conditions has very blunt leaf tips. Also seems to be a bit small/young to be putting out a flower. Maybe D. natalensis, D. dielsiana or a D. spatulata. I am sort of troubled with pinning down, as the older flowers seem to be running horizontal to the soil. Dont see that with my dielsiana. Cant say with natalensis mine haven't bloomed. Have seen similar with D. spatulata 'Kanto'. Any pics of the flowers? Color of flowers and how tall were they?

Also, what conditions are you growing them under? inside, under lights, etc.....

I see. Looking closer, I see that my venusta does have a blunt tip to the leaves. :crazy:

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

@ Clue, its not venusta.
That is a d. capensis. I had several of those running around in the pot too. I guess that one must have jumped ship. About conditions, I have them in a homemade tank (humidity stays around 70-80%) that has three 120 watt equivalent CFBs, two daylight and one warm white, and a full spectrum tube I found at walmart. The temperature gets down to maybe 60 degrees, and get up to around 75-80 degrees. When the unknown sundew first came, it was all red, but started to change color after I repotted it.
Williamg

I'd agree with D. natalensis for those unknown sundews, but there is a lot of confusion with the D. natalensis/ D. venusta group, and many growers actually mix the 2 together, which I disagree with.
To make matters even more confusing, I've been told by Christian Dietz that most (if not all) D. dielsiana in circulation are actually mislabeled D. natalensis. True D. dielsiana has round seeds, like D. burmannii seeds, except larger, evidently.
Here's a link to a few pics:
http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/natalensis.html

@ theyellowdart- just for the record, D. capensis 'Albino' is a cultivar, which some people write as 'Alba' interchangeably.

Since one of the points you guys brought up was flowers and seeds, I figure it would be helpful to post of the flower stalk that sprung up and some new photot sof the plant.
unknownsudew.jpg

unknown2z.jpg

unknownflower2.jpg

unknownflower.jpg

Yeah, there's no doubt in my mind it's D. natalensis (in circulation as D. dielsiana)
Those look nearly identical to my plants confirmed by Christian Dietz to be D. natalensis:
dielsiana_5_b.JPG

Natalensis-1.JPG

Believe it or not, the following picture is of the exact same D. natalensis as the picture above, when temperatures were a little warmer (and it was closer to the lights):
Drosera_natalensis_orange_sundew.JPG

Very nice! Thank you CPlantaholic, They look very very simlar to my plants. One more unknown labeled to rest. :-)) Now just to get all of the bladderworts to bloom to see who is in there...

Back