What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT id please!

Hi friends! I dont know wich cultivar is this vft and i was wonder if you know...

best regards!

P.S: all traps looks the same

venusId.jpg

I would just call it a typical. Looks like one, too.

Most Dionaea cultivars look the same anyways.... beats me!

This thread *MAY* help you. :-))

Lmfao "MAY" being the main point. and feder i agree with lime.

I´ve seen pictures of "Red Green" cultivar (althoug this one is not registred) and it look equal!

unless the plant came with a specific label, its best to leave it as a typical unless you can verify exactly on its traits for a registered cultivar, and thats a touch and go subject since most flytraps, as clue states, look the same...

Lmfao "MAY" being the main point. and feder i agree with lime.

That was the most obvious thing ever, why point it out. Who wouldn't notice that?

To the important person:

It looks like its on the Typical side. Very nice red traps though.

My identification thread is only for help. Not for exact identification, unless it can be proven. It shouldn't be labeled as it because it is not. Mark it as Unknown. We probably couldn't tell waht it was unless it looked exactly like a 'Sawtooth', or a 'Red Piranha'.

It has green banding though, which looks unusual...

I would say just a red hint, but they are both the same. Veronis had a post about a green banding on the inside of a trap.

My identification thread is only for help. Not for exact identification, unless it can be proven. It shouldn't be labeled as it because it is not. Mark it as Unknown. We probably couldn't tell waht it was unless it looked exactly like a 'Sawtooth', or a 'Red Piranha'.

Even though I told myself I wouldn't put up responding to this sort of thing.... :rolleyes:

'Red Piranha' and 'Sawtooth' are both one-clone cultivars. It says on the descriptions that they can only be propagated by vegetative means, so that means that only that one clone is ever a 'Red Piranha' or a 'Sawtooth'. Even if you found a plant with such similarity, or even being identical, you couldn't call it that cultivar unless you know for a fact it is. :nono:

Even though I told myself I wouldn't put up responding to this sort of thing.... :rolleyes:

'Red Piranha' and 'Sawtooth' are both one-clone cultivars. It says on the descriptions that they can only be propagated by vegetative means, so that means that only that one clone is ever a 'Red Piranha' or a 'Sawtooth'. Even if you found a plant with such similarity, or even being identical, you couldn't call it that cultivar unless you know for a fact it is. :nono:

Thats why I said, exactly but no one will know exactly unless its proven.

Timmy - as youve seen i can be nice to you, and while you think i hate you, i dont, i think your rude, yes.
ok, so your posts here, when it comes to identification, leave it to the people with experience please?
your too new to this hobby to fully go out and give out information for IDs which is 9 times out 10 so far, incorrect, these mistaken IDs given by novice growers are why we have so many mislabeled plants in cultivation now, and mislabeled plants leads to people feeling ripped off in trades or purchases, or even in personal collections if its not what they paid for.
So again, not to bark at you or anything, but leave the identification the VFT experts (which i myself am not, by any means) i feel your "VFT" identification thread, while it could be useful, is more of a problem than it is good. people will try and brand a plant a certain cultivar, when it is NOT that cultivar...
as Clue stated
Several of the cultivars in cultivation, can only be propagated through vegetative means, not through seed or any of the sort. TC, pullings, divisions, etc only.

Dont label the plant as unknown, because it most likely is not a cultivar,
label the plant as Dionaea muscipula and leave it at that, if you feel it produces a constant set of traits unique to the plant, if you feel it necessary, try and find out a way to register it as your own cultivar.

OK people.. first at all is not necesary to argue with bad wave energy.... You (we) can have different opinions sure, but is not big deal...

I understand your point guys, THIS IS NOT A CULTIVAR because its a clon yes, but her "mather clon" was taken from seed... is spite of that, all clons of that plants looks the same...
I will make leaf-cuttings and show you pictures of them.. they will be equal to this...
Thanks for your help!

When i make that post i will send you mp to all of you who are interested in this case... best regards!

Not to burst you bubble, but I think I have the same clone as you do.

100_3129-1-1.jpg

Not to burst you bubble, but I think I have the same clone as you do.

Not all of the traps appear to have the green banding on your plant, while all of feder's appear to have a distinct, even banding off of the red coloration. It kind of looks like yours just has some occasional green on some of the mostly red traps.

I'll have to wait for the plant to produce decent traps again.

lime - it cant be the same clone if what Feder said was true,
Feder says his plant is a division from a seedgrown plant, and since he is in Argentina, I doubt that plant has made it up here....

lime - it cant be the same clone if what Feder said was true,
Feder says his plant is a division from a seedgrown plant, and since he is in Argentina, I doubt that plant has made it up here....

Hmm, guess I read wrong. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Back