What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all, new here...looking for some help/Plant ID

Well, first a little background. My wife and I are expecting our first child (a boy!!! YAY!) and we just purchased our first home.

Anyway, if I am posting this in the incorrect place please accept my apologies and feel free to move it.

Today, we were walking around the backyard and I noticed some plants.

They looked a little familiar but I wasn't sure so I snapped a few pictures, and began looking on the internet for some forums to ask what they might be. I posted on another website but got no response.

Here are the pictures of the plants, can anyone tell me if this is Poison Ivy, Oak or something like that? We're going to be having a baby soon, as I said, and I don't want him to get into this stuff if it's dangerous.

Here's the pictures:

One
Two
Three

location would be nice. poison oak is restricted mostly to the western part of the united states. poison ivy is more of the eastern.

that being said, it's definitely NOT poison oak, but that does look very similar to poison ivy.

Poison ivy doesn't have thorns, which that appears to have. looks kinda like blackberries, but not sure. Touch it and see if you get a rash!

Edit: Once again, I can trust on the admins to ninja me...

Yeah! I win!! lol

Actually, I think it's awesome that we both independently came up with the same answer at the same time...kinda serves to validate what we were thinking!

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

I went ahead and moved this thread to the Identify That Plant board, where it's a little better fit. Norwood, I hope you will introduce yourself however! :)

Thanks for the replies folks. We're located in New England, a little south of Boston.

I would have just rubbed a little on my forearm or something but I can't afford to have with my wife being gorgeously pregnant...I'm weary of everything!

It does have thorns, and in some of my research I did see that Poison Ivy doesn't have thorns...but I wanted to ask people and get some input.

Blackberry's would be neat...a nice little snack as we're walking around outside. :)

Don't be naive. Blackberries are a huge pain in the... well, gotta look out for ninja's. In Oregon they're an invasive problem plant, once you have them, you always have them. Kinda looks like raspberry too, not as big a pain. Just imagine your kid stumbling into thorns as he/she learns to walk. YIKES!

Now would be a perfect time for your wife to get a touch of poison ivy or oak. Sounds crazy, but as your wifes body processed the urushiols (toxin) in the plant, your gestating child would be much more likely to be immune to the plants.

For most people blackberries are a pain. we don't use pesticides of any kind, however, and we train the ones that pop up into a 1m x 1m corner of the yard. We get maybe 5-10 pounds of blackberries a year, it's pretty nice.

blackberries are complete and total weeds up here, lol and congratulations on the child, my fiancee and i are having our baby boy in august :)

Awesome! Congrats to you and Norwood.

I concur, it looks just like the blackberries I'm growing, intentionally as opposed to everyone else! LOL

Why would a newborn be in a bush? Ah, I have no child but I know some parents, or soon to be parents, are like that's dangerous, even though the canes are just about 0. Congrats on the little dude!

Back