What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you name this tree?

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date
Hmm, leaves look similar, but i cant find pics of any pistache with the same girth as your trees.
And most importantly imho the fruit..
On your pics i see 2 things that might be fruit/seeds, the little green things that might be wingnuts and other things in the middle of the pics that might be walnuts.
I don't see anything on the pics that might indicate pistache like fruit/flowers.

Yah, the pistache pics do look like much smaller trees overall. The ones we saw the trunks were massive, and the canopy as well.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

and.. I looked up wingnut tree and those seemed to make strands of fruit. I think this tree had more of individual fruits...???

hello,i dont know if i'm posting this correctly, but i am responding to an email that you submitted to our helpdesk, so please let me know.
The trees that you're discussing are in one of our parks here in florence. a couple of the posters were correct including the guy from Lowes. the large trees are chinese pistachio and the reason for their girth are that they are over 40 years old. The only question i have myself is, there are two different types, but from what ive gathered they are close cousins to each other. I dont know enough about them to say but they have been that same size since i started her ten years ago. close exam will show slight differences in the leaves and trunk. if anybody has anything to add, i'd sure appreciate it.thanks.

Hi Ray, and thanks for your imput :D That was me that emailed you linking this topic I created for further information and discussion. I live down in Tucson I think chinese pistachio is close enough an ID for us... But if you want to try and further ID your trees I'm willing to bet the folks around here could do so if you could get some better pictures than I posted (probably of the fruits, bark etc). Your tree leaves do change nice colors come fall right? We found that with the chinese pistachio pictures and really love that!!
Thanks for joining and the information :)
Andrew

PS Nice park there, but I was a little bit confused by the newer desert trees that were planted just under the end of the canopy of these trees... any insight on the planning of that?

the mesquites were a donation and the preschool in the area wanted to have the kids do a planting project so my staff had them put them there because it is close to the school. not the best idea, but we were trying to accomodate. we anticipate trimmimg them rather short, but if they dont get enough sun we may lose the new ones. we're definately not gonna let them interfere with the canopies above.

Ahh, I saw the tree donation program when I was looking for a contact and figured it was in connection to that or something. Glad to hear that they will get the chop before the pistachio- the canopy is awesome and I personally don't care much for the majority of desert trees... Hate to see a whole corner or side chopped out of those huge trees to accommodate mesquite. Also to address a question I mentioned earlier... Is it common for the deadwood that we saw within these trees? Or maybe just a sign of age or abuse? Either way it didn't seem to affect the overall structure/shape of the tree I was just curious.

the deadwood you saw seams to be fairly normal in these, since they can only support a certain amount of branch growth each year. we should get up there and clean it out more often, but, thats another story. it doesnt seem to bother the trees too much though, they've been like that since i started working here. we get up there usually once a year and clean out alot of it.

Back