What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help me ID a giant Club Moss I just got in

I just got a big pile of this "Giant Club Moss" in today anybody know what it is? It looks similar to the fine leaf form of my Elaphoglossum peltata fern but is much larger.

giantclubmoss1.jpg

On average the parasol like fronds are about 4" but some get to 6-7", the huge ones may be shade grown fronds

giantclubmoss2.jpg

View from above

giantclubmoss3.jpg

So not only do I not know what species it is (sold as "Giant Club Moss") I also have way more than I need of this. I only wanted a sprig or two and was sent a shopping bag full so if anyone wants some if you're willing to cover postage get hold of me by PM right away, I don't know how long it'll survive unpotted laying in a storage bin full of wet LFS. I have no pots big enough to pot it all up, these would be good in a 10 gallon terrarium (20" L) or larger.

I can get you to the genus: it is Lycopodium (possibly vulgaris?) Never did well for me and I suspect it needs some sort of mycorhizae to really prosper. Good luck, it is a very cool member of Bryophyta. It gets very cool sporangia at "flowering time" which is now in my range. Interestingly, the spores used to have a commercial value back in the early days of photography. You've seen the old photographers hold up a flat that burst into flame providing the needed light? They would squeeze a bulb that puffed the spores into a cloud that was then flash ignited. Just a bit of trivia.

How did you grow it?

just wondering what soil & climate conditions you've tried.

My plants were taken from a local woods and were grown in a woodland terrarium along with some companion species: Polytrichum, wintergreen, winter berry, ferns. I managed to get a portion of their natural substrate as well and so probably had access to the mycorhizae that helped support their growth. Did well for a couple of years using moderate lighting but eventually petered out. The species needs room to run.They probably would appreciate some leaf mold in a fairly acidic mix aiming for a moist but airy mix.

Back