Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me ID this struggling D. spatulata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to retract my original guess
    D. x tokaiensis is pretty small (a little bigger than the Fraser Island form though) so I may have to retract my guess and go with the monster hybrid that I had never heard of or seen before! Looks pretty close to yours, though it's hard to tell.
    Looking at your plant, it does look like the older leaves resemble the AG3 plant online, so I'd say that's your best bet.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-23-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm - so monster hybrid it is! And since it's rated as hardiness zone 10, that would suggest that this dormancy is entirely stress-induced, correct? Poor thing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like D. aliciae to me. and it doesn't look like its going dormant or a type that goes dormant. try putting the pot in a higher humidity environment--under a plastic bag or dome. and keep it under lower light for a week or so. then increase the light exposure but keep the humidity higher for several weeks. See how they do.
    good luck.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The various D. spatulata I've grown crap out like that all the time on me. I haven't figured out what causes it or changing conditions helps in any way. They'll grow hale and hearty for months then poop out. They'll stay that way for months then start growing again or wither away. I just save some seed and start over again if they shuffle off this mortal coil.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting!! I'm hoping the plantlets that I found at the base of my D. spatulata will carry on their mothers legacy lol.

So I have it under a bag now. It's also a bit closer to the lights - probably about 6" under them. The photoperiod is at 13 hours now as I'm gradually reducing it to 9 hours for the winter. I also just did a foliar feeding with a light solution of SuperThrive. Hoping it pulls through!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-23-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    The various D. spatulata I've grown crap out like that all the time on me. I haven't figured out what causes it or changing conditions helps in any way. They'll grow hale and hearty for months then poop out. They'll stay that way for months then start growing again or wither away. I just save some seed and start over again if they shuffle off this mortal coil.
    Yeah... ditto... thought it was just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that makes me feel better!

Anyway, still no luck getting this plant to perk up. Maybe it is just dormant. It's a waiting game now. But some of the plantlets I pulled out of the base of the largest rosette seem to be doing OK! Hope they keep on truckin'

Here's the latest from the battlefront:

Oh, the humanity!
    Last edited by TheFury; 10-16-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    Well that makes me feel better!

Anyway, still no luck getting this plant to perk up. Maybe it is just dormant. It's a waiting game now. But some of the plantlets I pulled out of the base of the largest rosette seem to be doing OK! Hope they keep on truckin'

Here's the latest from the battlefront:

Oh, the humanity!
    Hi,

I have a similar looking hybrid. In a similar condition. It started to come out from the hibernation, but I noticed some pest crawling in the pot and made the situation worse by spraying it with neem oil extract. Bug is gone, but all the leaves that had dew on them now look burned. Poor plant.
    Interestingly I was just considering creating a thread and asking about it. Good thing I stumbled upon this thread.

Picture will be included later when I'm home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast