Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me ID this struggling D. spatulata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me ID this struggling D. spatulata

So I'll start by saying that I'm thoroughly embarrassed to show you any plants in this state. This was my first CP - I got it around April. It was thriving for a long time - growing like a weed, spawning plantlets, flowering, clumping... the works.

Then, about two months ago, one of the mature plants in the clump started dying. I didn't remove any of the dead foliage... perhaps this was my first mistake. I then repotted it into LFS and separated the clump a bit.... maybe my second mistake. Anyway, the decline continued. Two weeks ago, I set up my grow rack and finally gave it some decent lighting. I also got a RO filter where I had previously been using fine, vintage aged tap water.

OK. So yesterday I decided to repot it into a mixture of peat & sand (Hoffman western desert sand... I've heard it works just fine; no carbonate minerals, good size grit, etc.). I sprayed the plant and roots with sulfur-based fungicide and then rinsed them off with RO water. I found a nice number of plantlets growing underneath the main plant. Nice! So I spread those out over the media a bit.

Now, I understand that some varieties of D. Spatulata require dormancy. I got this one off of a certain online vendor based in Ohio, and it was sold as a "spoon leaf sundew." Not much to go on there. I emailed the vendor today to ask for more information about the specific variety, and the only answer I got was "our supplier does not have any further information on the variety." Great.

Anyone guess what this is? If it's going dormant naturally, then I'm not so worried. If it's not a variety that goes dormant, then... wtf??

Again, I apologize in advance for these photos... it's murder...

Many thanks!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it appears to be dormant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... solid... well that's a start! Any idea what variety it might be then? Will I need to give this one a cold dormancy like other temperates, or can I leave this in my grow rack over the winter? I'll be gradually reducing the photoperiod down to 9 hours over the coming weeks, and I'm guessing overnight temperatures will reach the low 60s or high 50s from time to time once the cold weather really hits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My various pots/plugs of D. spatulata never seem to take to transplanting well. They stop growing and try to clump but slowly come back (but they look like that at first, definately). Maybe this is some sort of stress-induced dormancy. Oh well, just give it the proper conditions and it should pop back in a few months or so.
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since it's dormant, it appears that it is D. x tokaiensis, a hybrid between D. rotundifolia and D. spatulata. It also has the same characteristic leaf shape. No need to "force" this one into dormancy. If you give it warm enough temps it should snap out of it.

I have a few pics for comparison:

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-23-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - D. x tokaiensis vs D. tokaiensis; D. rotundifolia vs D. rotunidifolia
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if you can find out who their supplier is. If the plants came from AgriStarts 3 then it is either "Fraser Island" form or Dr. Frankensnyder's (Ivan Snyder) monster hybrid of the Kanto type and D. spatulata var. gympiensis (both from Australia). It looks to me more like Dr. Frankensnyder's monster than Fraser Island. You may have to trace back through two or three suppliers back to AG3.

AG3 rates these as a hardiness zone of 10.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Do the Fraser Island sundews go dormant? I do have what I know to be a D. spatulata "Fraser Island" but the rosettes are a good deal smaller than my mystery sundew, and the leaves aren't as green. See here:

Now, before you compliment me on this great looking specimen, I must add a disclaimer that I've only had this plant for about two weeks, so it hasn't had a chance to get pissed off at me and die yet!!

Anyway, given the size of this thing compared to the Fraser Island sundew, it may well be the Dr. Frankensnyder variety. I looked at AG3's website and their selection of plants is eerily similar to that offered by the vendor that sold me these plants, so this is probably their distributor. And if that's the case, then what they sell as "D. Spathulata" would be the monster hybrid, as you say. Nice.

So if it's hardiness zone 10... why is it dormant?? Is it entirely stress-induced? If that's the case, then I'm a bad caretaker...

EDIT: Then again, D. x tokaiensis looks like it might be a very real possibility, too... look at the shape of those leaves.... HMMMM
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-23-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - D. x tokaiensis vs D. Tokaensis

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK, straight up D. spatulata doesn't go dormant. So you may not have D. spatulata, but a hybrid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast