What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this NOT Drosera binata?

Yesterday I noticed a tiny (~10 mm) sundew growing near the base of my Sarracenia minor, and I think it might not be D. binata like all the other ones turned out to be. I think it's too small to have any conclusive identification, but I just wanted to see if anyone else thinks this is not a young D. binata.

Its definately not binata.
Could be intermedia or something else.

Yeah, probably intermedia. I have gotten them in some of the sarracenia I have obtained over the years as well. It is a cool little sundew. It makes a good amount of seed too. Congrats on the freebie!

d. intermedia is one of my favorite :) very fast grower and gets a nice deep red.

IMG_0482.jpg

Very cool! Thanks guys. Now I'm really excited to watch it grow up. :D

Yup I's have to agree. Looks to be d. intermedia.

On a side note I noticed your in the Bay Area! Was wondering if your a member of the BACPS? If not you should join! Contact me and I can give you more info. Otherwise you can go to BACPS.org and check it out. Great people with wonderful plants!

I'm pretty sure I'm a member of BACPS, I remember signing up for something during a meeting at the Conservatory of Flowers not too long ago. I don't seem to get emails though, I guess my handwriting was too sloppy? If I'm not a member, I'll sign up again at the sale next month.

One of these days I'll get brave enough to try my hand at Cephalotus...

Great! See you at the show and sale!

I'm pretty sure I'm a member of BACPS, I remember signing up for something during a meeting at the Conservatory of Flowers not too long ago. I don't seem to get emails though, I guess my handwriting was too sloppy? If I'm not a member, I'll sign up again at the sale next month.

One of these days I'll get brave enough to try my hand at Cephalotus...

I can't tell from the photo but I can tell you that a young D. binata has leaves that look like half moons.

Tried to get a picture of the half moon jim was referring to.. didn't do a very good job of it, but hopefully you get the idea. I can somewhat make out the tear drop shape in the original picture, which makes me lean more towards D. Intermedia, but time will tell.

IMG_0495.jpg

Just an update for this little plant. Looking at it now, I think it's D. capensis rather than D. intermedia. What do you guys think?

Cool! I'll be really stoked if that's what it turns out to be. Unfortunately I can't really grow it well, since it's decided to grow wedged between a bunch of S. minor pitchers. :(

gently need it out with a pair of tweezers.. loosen the media around the dew until you are able to work it out of the soil, roots and all. Then repot it. I was GOING to say.. "if grown well.. which it looks like you won't have a problem doing." Since it appears to be doing quite well.

I might have to give that a try, since I really want to have a mature D. capensis eventually. Apparently their leaves wrap around their prey? None of my other sundews do that from what I've noticed (D. multifida, D. binata, D. filiformis).

I might have to give that a try, since I really want to have a mature D. capensis eventually. Apparently their leaves wrap around their prey? None of my other sundews do that from what I've noticed (D. multifida, D. binata, D. filiformis).

I've seen the D. binata var. dichotoma I have outside move a little to engulf its prey, but D. capensis can completely double-over.

i agree with the others it looks like intermedia

i agree with the others it looks like intermedia

mmm.. I have to fully disagree Anna. That largest leaf is nothing like intermedia IMO. I see it in the wild every week, so I have pretty good experience with that plant.

anglica maybe? Just throwin it out there...

Back