What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Nep

I bought an unhealthy looking young Nepenthes from a local garden center a couple of weeks ago in an attempt to bring it back to health, it's doing great but it didn't have any indication as to what it is. If any of you guys could give me a clue as to what it is then that would be great! :D

Here's some pictures of it...

photostream

photostream

The first pitcher to develop after i got it home

photostream

The only pitcher on it when i bought it

photostream

repost because your pics didn't show up..

I bought an unhealthy looking young Nepenthes from a local garden center a couple of weeks ago in an attempt to bring it back to health, it's doing great but it didn't have any indication as to what it is. If any of you guys could give me a clue as to what it is then that would be great! :D

Here's some pictures of it...

5747894548_9b43ebca7d_z.jpg

5747887726_50d1727bfc_z.jpg

The first pitcher to develop after i got it home

5747344675_696e4fbc1e_z.jpg

The only pitcher on it when i bought it

5747889874_93d3bb75d2_z.jpg

Looks........healthy. :)

And it looks like N x ventrata.

And it looks like N x ventrata.

Thanks for the I.D. :) I was hoping it wasn't a ventrata as I bought a mature one with it, but I'm sure I'll enjoy watching it mature anyway :p

It doesn't look like a ventrata.. Leaves are different as well as the pitchers.
Maybe N.madagascarenis since it's the next most-common nep. (But then again the peristome looks different from madagascarenis)

But I'm almost confident that it's not ventrata.. It has thorelli in it though!

It doesn't look like a ventrata.. Leaves are different as well as the pitchers.
Maybe N.madagascarenis since it's the next most-common nep. (But then again the peristome looks different from madagascarenis)

But I'm almost confident that it's not ventrata.. It has thorelli in it though!

................you're joking, right? :0o:

I was hoping it wasn't a Ventrata due to the peristome not joining where the lid is attached to the pitcher but I'm fairly recent to the CP game so Exo I'll trust your judgement! ^^

I'm no expert but that doesn't look like a N x ventrata to me either.

All of the ones I've seen have a stubbier belly from the ventricosa parentage which is lighter in color and usually greener than the upper part of the pitcher. Granted, the pitchers in that pic aren't fully developed and are still somewhat juvenile but idk..

Here's two shots of my ventrata for reference (although a much older plant). There are lots of different clones from various nurseries but they all more or less look like this from what I've seen.

attachment.php

attachment.php

But again I'm by no means an expert, just throwing in my two cents worth :p

I'm not an expert either, but I would say it's not N. xVentrata. Pitcher shape and lid are not representative of what I have come to identify with N. xVentrata, among other things. Those were the two main things that popped out at me though.

I am very poor at identifying nepenthes though so maybe wait until an expert rolls along to offer some advice.

Which garden centre was it? The ones like B&Q and Homebase tend to have more generic CPs, whereas the independent ones tend to have a wider range, making it harder to work out... Try going on CPUK, they might have a better collective idea about the plants found in the English garden centres. I found a red Nepenthes a while ago from one, and am still none the wiser as to what it is :s

Yeh it's an independent garden centre, that's a good idea! thanks :)

................you're joking, right? :0o:

No I'm not. :poke:

Maybe mirabilis X thorelli? The peristome looks like amp, but the pitcher color/shape is that of thorelli. I'm not very good at this since I just got back from a hiatus :)

No I'm not. :poke:

Maybe mirabilis X thorelli? The peristome looks like amp, but the pitcher color/shape is that of thorelli. I'm not very good at this since I just got back from a hiatus :)

True N. thorelii probably isn't in cultivation.

True N. thorelii probably isn't in cultivation.

Aware. :)

Just thought that since there were many thorelli hybrids that this might be one as well. Don't really have any other idea other than something with mirabilis/thorelli :/

Back