User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Mushrooms grew in pimpkin patch...

  1. #1
    Aklys joossa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Palmdale, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,043
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mushrooms grew in pimpkin patch...

    I went to check my pumpkins and squash this morning and found that a couple of mushrooms were sprouting at the base a two plants. They were immediately adjacent to the young plants (pumpkin and squash).

    Does anyone know what these are? Is it likely that they are feeding off the plants? Are they harmful to the plants? Does the soil have anything to do with them sprouting? I am using tons of rich compost, aged manure, and fertilizer. Overall the two plants the mushrooms were adjacent to look very healthy and show no sign of stress or damage.

    Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

    -Joel from Southern California


  2. #2
    Tastes like chicken! Exo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albion, NY
    Posts
    2,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look like inky caps.....they should melt into a puddle of black slime a few hours after being picked if they are.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

    My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

    Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

  3. #3
    JRFxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joossa View Post
    Does the soil have anything to do with them sprouting? I am using tons of rich compost, aged manure, and fertilizer.
    They're probably just a result of mycelium hitchhiking in the manure or compost.

    I'm no expert but mushrooms eat decaying matter and aren't usually a threat to plants. I even have some growing in my nep pots at the moment.

  4. #4
    swords's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cernunnos Woods
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally mushrooms aren't going to hurt your plants, they will die off after whatever they are feeding on runs out of nutrients. I often get them a short while after setting up new vivariums but they never last very long, a few days at most and the mushroom crops come and go but once they go for good I've never had them come back.

  5. #5
    w03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    526
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like [I]Coprinopsis atramentaria/I] - an inky cap.

    They quickly melt into black goo.

    I'm almost certain they feed on the decaying manure - they are harmless to the plants.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

  6. #6
    Aklys joossa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Palmdale, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,043
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys! Truly appreciated!
    -Joel from Southern California


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •