User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: D. capensis "broad leaf" or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D. capensis "broad leaf" or not?

I'm confused about this Drosera Capensis plant variation. Is this what broad leaf capensis is supposed to look like? All of the other photos I've been seeing of the D. capensis "broad leaf" form look much different. The other pics I've seen of them they have no curled leaves, and basically look much nicer.

Please help identify!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After doing a search on D. capensis "Broadleaf", it seems like all the plants lumped into that name are a variable bunch. In most of the pictures, the petiole is flattened so that it appears wider than the typical form. Those plants pictured also have the wide petioles. I'm not sure what the characteristics of the plant should be. At least you know it's D. capensis !
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an expert but I'd say it is a broadleaf, looks way more like that than a regular capensis in my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick replies.

it also looks a lot like this D. capensis "Bains kloof" that Sundewman owns:

but then when I went onto the cppphotofinder, all of the capensis Bainskloof pics there look completely different from that too. :P

Anyway, since Capensis "broad leaf" isn't a registered cultivar, and mine has the broad leaves, I could still call mine D. capsnsis "broad leaf" anyway though, right? even if it isn't the true clone of broad leaf?

I find this really confusing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks a lot like the capensis broadleaf on google images and 'Bainskloof' is a place I think so they could be the same thing ^^ Yeh I'm sure you could still call it 'broadleaf', theres a lot of places online selling them under that name

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bainskloof is a location; don't label a plant as that unless you know that it came from there. I'd say you can just call it a Broad Leaf.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    Bainskloof is a location; don't label a plant as that unless you know that it came from there. I'd say you can just call it a Broad Leaf.
    Ditto.

I have D. capensis from Baineskloof, and though yours looks similar to mine, I would wouldn't add the name to the tag. If it starts to looks like a super-tall palm tree in less than 6 months, then you may re-consider. Carefully. Even at that point, if it were me, I still wouldn't add the name. But I'd know I have a super-cool plant!
    Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; 06-23-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Clarifying stuff.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs