Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bought locally, species name unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jebbewocky View Post
    Easily done--how often should I change the old water out for new?
    Once a week. Also..you should stronly consider acclimating it to normal air humidity...living in a jar with 100% humidity tends to make them prone to rot.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Once a week. Also..you should stronly consider acclimating it to normal air humidity...living in a jar with 100% humidity tends to make them prone to rot.
    The plant store guy said to take the top off no more than an hour a day--but they also had it in a low-light area. Anywho, how I do I got about acclimating it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant store guy said to take the top off no more than an hour a day--
    The plant store guy doesnt know what he is talking about..

Anywho, how I do I got about acclimating it?
    Take the cover off..done.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not gradually, just take it off? I can do that, I just don't want to shock the plant.
    EDIT: I should have expected that...pet store employees typically don't know much either, I don't know why I expected plants to be different, especially niche plants like cps.
    Last edited by jebbewocky; 06-28-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to be careful, cover it with clear plastic instead of the normal top. Each day poke a small hole in the plastic. After a week or two it should be fine.

Happy growing!
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    If you want to be careful, cover it with clear plastic instead of the normal top. Each day poke a small hole in the plastic. After a week or two it should be fine.

Happy growing!
    I might do that--it sounds like it isn't really necessary to baby the plant that much, but I lose nothing by doing so anyway, and it would get me accustomed to babying them if I ever keep more fragile plants. and thank you.

One other question--regarding food. I don't really have flies, would mealworms and dubia cockroach nymphs be ok once it gets some size? I know I can use fishfood in the meantime, but it has to be softened with water first (I assume distilled water).

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

and I live in MI, if that's relevant.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to worry about feeding just yet, the plant will be alright while it gets acclimated to healthy conditions, and even then feeding isn't vital (though they appreciate it). Little beta food bellets, dehydrated bloodworms, work best if they can't catch live prey. It doesn't really matter if you soften it with regular water since the entire point is a boom in nutrients. I wouldn't give things as huge as worms or cockroaches though, it would probably just burn the leaf. in general they're fine just catching their own food, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Good luck and happy growing!
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not gradually, just take it off? I can do that, I just don't want to shock the plant.
    yep, thats how I would do it..
    IMO there is no real point to "slow acclimation"..plants outside experience big swings in humidity on a daily basis, they handle it fine..

drastic, sudden changes in sun intensity and temperature are far more "shocking" to a plant than a change in air humidity..and I dont bother to acclimate for sun or temp either!

there is really nothing wrong with poking holes in plastic for a week, if it makes you feel better! but IMO (and im my growing experience) its completely unnecessary..not for a humidity change. the plant will probably be going from 90% humidity under the cover, to 70% outside of the cover..thats nothing, wont even register..

Scot

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast