What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought locally, species name unknown

• Thread starter jebbewocky
  • Start date
Linky First 2 pics. Actually help would be appreciated on all, but only the first 2 are CP.

Looks like a light-starved D.spatulata to me.

BTW...welcome to the forum Jebb. ;)

the third pic is some variety of euphorbia and the fourth looks like echeveria maybe metallica

Looks like a light-starved D.spatulata to me.

BTW...welcome to the forum Jebb. ;)

Would that cause it to be green instead of having red?
I've got it in a western facing window since getting it Saturday.
I'll try to find more info on that species.
And thanks. :D

the third pic is some variety of euphorbia and the fourth looks like echeveria maybe metallica

Maybe Euphorbia trigona? It seems to have some drooping, and some brown spots on it..has had the entire time I've had it. It was kind of a rescue--it belonged to my first room-mate, who we had to evict, and he left it. Maybe not enough light? It's by a western facing porch glass door. My other xerophytes seem to be fairing just fine..had some browning with the Echeveria initially, but I did some pruning and I water it slightly more often than previously and it seems to be thriving.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

I also have some sort of other plant that hasn't been doing well at all after I potted it. Might re-pot it in a hydroponic setup. I assumed peat would work, but I think it isn't working out for the little guy. EDIT: Re-potted. I don't know if it's a true hydroponic, but it's in water w/fertilizer, no soil, and it worked when I needed to re-root it, but it was doing very poorly while I had it in the peat, so I just put it in the water again...hopefully this will help it thrive a bit better.

Last edited:
Yeah...bright light causes more red pigments in sundews, and those grown in severely dim conditions are grass green.

Yeah...bright light causes more red pigments in sundews, and those grown in severely dim conditions are grass green.

Ah. Hopefully the sun will perk it up.

EDIT: Also--how much standing water should I allow in the bottom of the jar? I'm assuming it isn't a problem, since that's kind of the whole principle of the rack system which seems so common, but I don't really have the experience to know what is appropriate.

Ah. Hopefully the sun will perk it up.

EDIT: Also--how much standing water should I allow in the bottom of the jar? I'm assuming it isn't a problem, since that's kind of the whole principle of the rack system which seems so common, but I don't really have the experience to know what is appropriate.

The water should be halfway up the pot.

The water should be halfway up the pot.

Easily done--how often should I change the old water out for new?
EDIT: Also...might be a good idea to wait for an N.ampullaria..lol. Newb and all. :p

Easily done--how often should I change the old water out for new?

Once a week. Also..you should stronly consider acclimating it to normal air humidity...living in a jar with 100% humidity tends to make them prone to rot.

Once a week. Also..you should stronly consider acclimating it to normal air humidity...living in a jar with 100% humidity tends to make them prone to rot.

The plant store guy said to take the top off no more than an hour a day--but they also had it in a low-light area. Anywho, how I do I got about acclimating it?

Not gradually, just take it off? I can do that, I just don't want to shock the plant.
EDIT: I should have expected that...pet store employees typically don't know much either, I don't know why I expected plants to be different, especially niche plants like cps.

Last edited:
If you want to be careful, cover it with clear plastic instead of the normal top. Each day poke a small hole in the plastic. After a week or two it should be fine.

Happy growing!

If you want to be careful, cover it with clear plastic instead of the normal top. Each day poke a small hole in the plastic. After a week or two it should be fine.

Happy growing!

I might do that--it sounds like it isn't really necessary to baby the plant that much, but I lose nothing by doing so anyway, and it would get me accustomed to babying them if I ever keep more fragile plants. and thank you. :)

One other question--regarding food. I don't really have flies, would mealworms and dubia cockroach nymphs be ok once it gets some size? I know I can use fishfood in the meantime, but it has to be softened with water first (I assume distilled water).

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

and I live in MI, if that's relevant.

You don't have to worry about feeding just yet, the plant will be alright while it gets acclimated to healthy conditions, and even then feeding isn't vital (though they appreciate it). Little beta food bellets, dehydrated bloodworms, work best if they can't catch live prey. It doesn't really matter if you soften it with regular water since the entire point is a boom in nutrients. I wouldn't give things as huge as worms or cockroaches though, it would probably just burn the leaf. in general they're fine just catching their own food, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Good luck and happy growing!

Not gradually, just take it off? I can do that, I just don't want to shock the plant.

yep, thats how I would do it..
IMO there is no real point to "slow acclimation"..plants outside experience big swings in humidity on a daily basis, they handle it fine..

drastic, sudden changes in sun intensity and temperature are far more "shocking" to a plant than a change in air humidity..and I dont bother to acclimate for sun or temp either! ;)

there is really nothing wrong with poking holes in plastic for a week, if it makes you feel better! ;) but IMO (and im my growing experience) its completely unnecessary..not for a humidity change. the plant will probably be going from 90% humidity under the cover, to 70% outside of the cover..thats nothing, wont even register..

Scot

Are there any generalist CP books I could buy?

7215df08a29211e1af7612313813f8e8_7.jpg

I figured I'd provide an update as to how the plant is doing after almost a year.

looks like it is multiplying...
Do you have any other cps?

A few, yep.--they're in my growlist. :)

Back