Thread: Unknown Pings

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    jimscott,

That is actually one of your pings! From the ones that you included with u. gibba. On the day that I got the package I was stuck at work 'till late and by the time I got to potting these small guys it was dark and it started raining So I was in the hurry and I mixed up the labels... still trying to figure out what is what.

I am really thankful for them!!
    LOL! In that case.... P. gypsicola! Seriously, the ones that have white, turned up leaves like that would be esseriana, 1717, and 1713. The latter two look exactly alike to me, including the flowers. Can you do any process of elimination with respect to esseriana vs. the other two? I don't think I had P. jaumviensis to spare and I've been out of P. eheleresiae for at least a year.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    LOL! In that case.... P. gypsicola! Seriously, the ones that have white, turned up leaves like that would be esseriana, 1717, and 1713. The latter two look exactly alike to me, including the flowers. Can you do any process of elimination with respect to esseriana vs. the other two? I don't think I had P. jaumviensis to spare and I've been out of P. eheleresiae for at least a year.
    Jim,

The 1717 and 1713 I have identified properly and they are sitting separately in other pots.
    P. Unknown 3 (lost its label...) I had labeled as P. esseriana after trying to identify it comparing to pictures in carnivorous plants photo finder.
    P. Unknown 1 was labeled as P. pirouette. For P. Unknown 2 I have mixed up the label while hastily potting the plants late at night but since it looked like small P. wesser or like P. pirouette I started doubting. P. wesser was eliminated later because its leaves have deeper red color.
    So to you both P. pirouette/ Unkown 1 and P. Unknown 2 look identical?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE][So to you both P. pirouette/ Unkown 1 and P. Unknown 2 look identical? /QUOTE] They do..... but then again, they also look like very young plants and the mature plant could look a little different. Hera re pictures of what I have as P. 'Pirouette':

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for reference here is a P. 'Pirouette' and smaller pullings. Originally from Jimscott. Not quite in the full summer leaf configuration. Judging based on color is not a sure bet since it depends on the season and the light source grown under. Even replacing an old bulb with unused bulb from the same batch can make a difference.

Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Just for reference here is a P. 'Pirouette' and smaller pullings. Originally from Jimscott. Not quite in the full summer leaf configuration. Judging based on color is not a sure bet since it depends on the season and the light source grown under. Even replacing an old bulb with unused bulb from the same batch can make a difference.
    NaN thanks for the reply. I assume color-wise you are referring to my comparing weser and pirouette? Hmm, they do grow in the same tray under the same light in the same soil mix.
    Here's weser few weeks after potting. It was lifting itself from the soil so I later pulled some leaves out and replanted it.

It is even redder now But I do agree that it is not a deciding factor. I guess I will mark both plants in question as P. Pirouette tentatively for now and wait until they grow larger and flower.
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that #1 and #2 look to be the same plant. They also look very similar to my P. moranaensis roseii, especially the photo posted above my post.

jimscott, do you have that plant in your collection that was maybe sent to gill_za?

Here is a crappy photo of mine that has been a little neglected as of late. Recently moving took a bit of a toll on some plants.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=043177ba.jpg

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    I agree that #1 and #2 look to be the same plant. They also look very similar to my P. moranaensis roseii, especially the photo posted above my post.

jimscott, do you have that plant in your collection that was maybe sent to gill_za?

Here is a crappy photo of mine that has been a little neglected as of late. Recently moving took a bit of a toll on some plants.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=043177ba.jpg
    Hmm the leaves of your ping seem to be more elongated near the center unlike what I have.

On the side note 31drew31 did you notice any correlation in the tendency of pings to "lift" themselves (I think your ping does that in the pic) versus what soil thy are in? I think pure perlite tends to do this ti mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent really had that problem, this one came looking like that from shipping and I was in a hurry and just potted it up quickly. Normally I pull off all the older leaves and only leave the newest 50% or so, but didnt on this one. I am changing up my grow area here soon, and will be repotting all of the pings that I potted up quickly because most are just sitting on the surface, and have been for about 6 weeks haha.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast