What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Pings

gill_za

Never Knows Best
Hello,

I would like help in identifying following pings. Thank you very much in advance!

P. Unknown 1
this one was marked as P. pirouette but i doubt it.
1.5x
20111022_011s.jpg

2x
20111022_013s.jpg

P. Unknown 2
1.5x
20111022_006s.jpg

2x
20111022_009s.jpg

P. Unknown 3
1.5x
20111022_002s.jpg

2x
20111022_001s.jpg

My apologies for the quality of the pics. I'm using my cell phone camera. Some pings I have recently fed (maybe overfed) so ignore the brown stuff :)

The last one looks like juam or esseriana.

These are just guesses

2'Sethos'
3Ehlersiae

These are just guesses

2'Sethos'
3Ehlersiae

Dunno about Sethos but I do have ehlersiae albeit small and #3 does not look like it. Leaves are too short and drool edges are too meaty (on #3) it looks more like esseriana i think.

Dunno about Sethos but I do have ehlersiae albeit small and #3 does not look like it. Leaves are too short and drool edges are too meaty (on #3) it looks more like esseriana i think.

To me, I would also say ehlersiae- I always thought that esseriana had the rounded drool edges and ehlersiae had pointy ones- however, the lines between juam, esseriana and ehlersiae are pretty blurred, so... ??? Your ehlersiae looks like a small carbon copy of my own, though...

My thought is P. ehleresiae as well.

My thought is P. ehleresiae as well.

jimscott,

That is actually one of your pings! From the ones that you included with u. gibba. On the day that I got the package I was stuck at work 'till late and by the time I got to potting these small guys it was dark and it started raining :) So I was in the hurry and I mixed up the labels... still trying to figure out what is what.

I am really thankful for them!!

Last edited:
Oh cuz I can't take being wrong;)
Next time use your English man so I don't have to spend five minutes trying to figure out why you called me
a) a Portuguese footballer
b) the Hindi word for grandma
c) The hawaiian girls name meaning "beautiful"
d) a place in Afghanistan
:-))
Btw it means 'what' in Japanese

Oh cuz I can't take being wrong;)
Next time use your English man so I don't have to spend five minutes trying to figure out why you called me
a) a Portuguese footballer
b) the Hindi word for grandma
c) The hawaiian girls name meaning "beautiful"
d) a place in Afghanistan
:-))
Btw it means 'what' in Japanese

Oh I'm so extremely sorry to burst your bubble here, but jimscott never sent me P. ehlersiae :) mkay?

:nana:

*feels smug that he actually understood what gill_za said straight away*

Iie.. nandemonai..

Anyway :)
So the third one seems to be either P. ehlersiae or P. esseriana

Can anyone suggest what the 1st one and maybe second one might be?

Iie.. nandemonai..
uhggggg now I gotta figure that out too
Edit: that was easier than the first time since I knew it was Japanese
It means "never mind"

Sushi!!!
Figure that out!!

jimscott,

That is actually one of your pings! From the ones that you included with u. gibba. On the day that I got the package I was stuck at work 'till late and by the time I got to potting these small guys it was dark and it started raining :) So I was in the hurry and I mixed up the labels... still trying to figure out what is what.

I am really thankful for them!!

LOL! In that case.... P. gypsicola! Seriously, the ones that have white, turned up leaves like that would be esseriana, 1717, and 1713. The latter two look exactly alike to me, including the flowers. Can you do any process of elimination with respect to esseriana vs. the other two? I don't think I had P. jaumviensis to spare and I've been out of P. eheleresiae for at least a year.

LOL! In that case.... P. gypsicola! Seriously, the ones that have white, turned up leaves like that would be esseriana, 1717, and 1713. The latter two look exactly alike to me, including the flowers. Can you do any process of elimination with respect to esseriana vs. the other two? I don't think I had P. jaumviensis to spare and I've been out of P. eheleresiae for at least a year.

Jim,

The 1717 and 1713 I have identified properly and they are sitting separately in other pots.
P. Unknown 3 (lost its label...) I had labeled as P. esseriana after trying to identify it comparing to pictures in carnivorous plants photo finder.
P. Unknown 1 was labeled as P. pirouette. For P. Unknown 2 I have mixed up the label while hastily potting the plants late at night but since it looked like small P. wesser or like P. pirouette I started doubting. P. wesser was eliminated later because its leaves have deeper red color.
So to you both P. pirouette/ Unkown 1 and P. Unknown 2 look identical?

[So to you both P. pirouette/ Unkown 1 and P. Unknown 2 look identical? /QUOTE] They do..... but then again, they also look like very young plants and the mature plant could look a little different. Hera re pictures of what I have as P. 'Pirouette':

Picture084.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Picture013-1.jpg

Picture031-4.jpg

Picture032-5.jpg

Just for reference here is a P. 'Pirouette' and smaller pullings. Originally from Jimscott. Not quite in the full summer leaf configuration. Judging based on color is not a sure bet since it depends on the season and the light source grown under. Even replacing an old bulb with unused bulb from the same batch can make a difference.

_IGP0402a.jpg

_IGP0399a.jpg

Back