Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For# 1... Ok.. Has been cloudly lately, it's the middle of winter here... Not too much light...
    For #2... There is a petiole, no trichomes/tentacles visible at 20x (with a magnifying glass) in the petiole nor in the underside of the leaf...
    For #3... As far as I can see with the mag. glass, tiny, sparse trichomes are visible in the underside of the leaf except in a growing one (hasn't even opened yet)... Maybe due to size (bit over 1/2 and inch across) they're tiny?
    SEELE 1
    Vistit my artblog:
    Eva Posers
    or my devianART

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trichomes on the undersides of D. slackii are very obvious to the naked eye. They also pickup a reddish color. D. natalensis is much more hairy, similar to D. venusta:

D. slackii

A quick way to test #2 would be to see if the leaves curl around prey. With Drosera adelae there is little to no leaf movement in response to food. If there is no dew yet, don't try feeding.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 01-14-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    #2 - Though difficult to make out from the photo there appears to be a "petiole" - region without tentacles and hairs on the undersides. With those features most likely Drosera villosa or D. ascendens. D. villosa is somewhat variable in form. D. ascendens is a synonym for D. villosa D. villosa var ascendens is invalid not having been properly published.
    Wow - although the last thing in the world that I want to do is differ with Warren (as I'm far from a taxonomist & he's typically correct in his assessments) - I feel that I must ...

Without viewing the pic, the likelihood of a vendor substituting a D. villosa or D. ascendens** for a D. adelae is single-digit probability at best.

Looking at the pic, the lateral ridges along the center of the leaf blade and the thin sides of the the leaf are both much more indicative of D. adelae than either of the others mentioned. The small amount of petiole present is consistent with D. adelae I am currently growing.

** whether or not it is "correct" to separate out these plants, I don't really care. Imho, the worse evil is done by pretending they are still the same when both knowledgeable people viewing them in the field and others who have grown both - see them as two distinct entities. Personally, I have grown both and easily observed larger differences than often separate Nepenthes species (I know - since I'm taxonomically ignorant, my view is worthless - but that doesn't mean I don't have one)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Wow - although the last thing in the world that I want to do is differ with Warren (as I'm far from a taxonomist & he's typically correct in his assessments) - I feel that I must ...

Looking at the pic, the lateral ridges along the center of the leaf blade and the thin sides of the the leaf are both much more indicative of D. adelae than either of the others mentioned. The small amount of petiole present is consistent with D. adelae I am currently growing.
    )
    Think you're right there, missed that feature
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12