What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula name confusion.

gill_za

Never Knows Best
Last year I have acquared a few pings and I believe the names supplied with the plants have been confused. Please help me identify these plants.

This one was sold to me as : P. gracilis x moctezumae while I now believe it is P. 'Aphrodite'
DSC05900.jpg

DSC05901.jpg

20111108_001s.jpg

Another pinguicula that I believe was mislabled was this one P. gypsicola x moctezumae and I believe it is actually P. gracilis x moctezumae:
DSC05899.jpg

DSC05898.jpg

And finaly this one was labled as P. moranensis. It resembls P. 'Titan' instead.
DSC05903.jpg

Last edited:
I have Aphrodite, gracilis x moctezumae, and more recently added gypsicola x moctezumae... And I gotta say, the gyp x mocte looks exactly like gracilis x mocte... so I dunno if one of mine is mislabeled, or if they really are that similar.. But the last one of yours definitely does look like Titan to me.. Flower photos of all to compare would prolly be useful..

One of yours is mislabled because I believe I sent you that "gypsicola x moctezuma" :( sorry.

No flowers yet.

Last edited:
hey gill za, I also think your gypsicola x moc is a gracilis x moc(assuming the one i have is actually a gracilis x moc). Do you have pictures of the flower of the first plant, cause it doesn't look like my Aphrodite. Matt

I have found an older picture of the first plant flowering and updated the first post.

LOL hijacker :)

New flower pics:

DSC05906.jpg

DSC05907.jpg

DSC05908.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I have. I'd be happy to have the ID's corrected:

Picture063-1.jpg
P. gracilis x moctezumae

100_9022.jpg
P. gracilis x moctezumae

Picture050-2.jpg
P. 'Aphrodite'

Picture056.jpg
P. 'Aphrodite'

Picture067.jpg
P. 'Aphrodite'

Jimscott,

Thank you. I believe I was right in identifying the plant labeled as gypsicola x moctezumae to be gracilis x moctezumae instead. Although the plant that I have seems to be a bit darker than yours but the shape of leaves seems to be similar.

Same goes for P. 'Aphrodite'.

In addition comparing the pictures of the plant that was labeled as P. moranensis with the ones available online I am certain that it is actually P. 'Titan'.

Thank you!

BTW, I have pics of some of the other plants that you have sent me last year. If you are interested :)
http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k547/gill_za/Pinguicula/

I believe you are right Gill, the P. gypsicola x moctezumae is actually P. gracilis x moctezume. I apologize to anyone that has gotten one from me in trades or other transactions. I've had the plant for years and never questioned the ID. I'd be interested to know if anyone has the true P. gypsicola x moctezume. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with it on this forum. It seems the true P. gypsicola x moctezume takes after the P. gypsicola parent. Leaves are erect and slender; has little to no color.

The P. moranensis/Titan I'm still waiting on. Mine are still dormant. It's very possible it is P. Titan. I apologize for this one as well for anyone that has gotten plants from me :(. I remember it appearing different from my P. Titan (the one that came labeled as Titan). Only time will tell.

Crystal

-------------
EDIT

I did some digging and found some old pictures of my so called "P. moranensis". One is a flower picture, and certainly isn't the best. Probably not much good for an ID. I also found a picture back when the plants were young. You can see it is developing slight points at the end of each leaf much like P. "Titan".

moranensis.jpg

P1030633.jpg

I'll take some new photos when mine finally decide to wake up for the year.

Last edited:
Back