Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of moss is this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i hate it too. it also can form a water barrier if it grows to thick.

if i'm feeling particularly obsessive, i'll get tweezers out and pull individual fibers out of the sphagnum. the best way to get rid of it is to get a nice culture of starmoss-free sphagnum and replace all the infested stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this in all my pots. (Ceph, heli, nep, utri etc) its 100% harmless and look nice

Even a pot full of only that moss can be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with hcarlton. It is extremely vigorous in my collection's summery conditions and chokes out Drosera strikes and sprouts in a week or two. I also have it in a pot of U. bisquamata, and like bananaman has mentioned, you can hardly see the leafy stolens. I have to disagree with bananaman in that if I can't see the Utric very well then the sun "can't see it very well" either. I did have some in a larger venusta pot that I trimmed twice a month and it looked pretty cool, but the venusta didn't seem to appreciate it trying to grow up through the leaves and around the crown. An air-flow/gas exchange thing I guess.
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a new growth of Sphagnum. Don't kill it!!!!!!! I have some popping up in my P. primuliflora pot and I'll admit it doesn't look much like Sphagnum until it matures.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is NOT sphagnum. New growth of Sphagnum looks completely different. It is some kind of other moss, I have it in my Nepenthes pots by chance. It does come up from dead Sphag, but it isn't Sphagnum.

If you want to grow Sphagnum from nothing, I would recommend putting it in a sealed bag for a couple months. I'm not sure how NZ LFS grows back from the dead, but I know the Mosser Lee stuff does come back since it is "natural" (AKA not washed/bleached).

If you look closely at that, it doesn't even have the same structure as Sphagnum. That has flat-ish little "leaves" and comes to a tiny dip in the center. It will stay around that size and maybe get a bit bigger. If you don't like the look of it, throw it out, because it will spread. It isn't really a pest though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12