Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of moss is this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of moss is this?

It doesnt look like typical sphagnum moss to me. It has leaves that arent holding a visible amount of water and has short stems. Ive seen pictures online where entire pots are filled with this. So is it a strange species of sphagnum or some kind of weed moss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After looking through hundreds of pictures ive come to the conclusion that this is some kind of star moss. Looks like im going to have to kill it :'(
    Anyways thanks for the help I would have gotten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for such a late reply,but heres my thoughts.I think its just new growth of the sphagnum,cause ive had it grow into the larger pieces,and Ive had it with my plants for a few years and never had any problems with it or any of the plants it was growing with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it is some sort of star moss, im sure that it is not sphag. It will not hurt you plants though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that in almost all my pots. It is completely harmless and looks nice, so I would not kill it...
    Hope I helped!
    -bananaman

Please check out My Growlist!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid I will have to disagree, though it depends on what kinds of plants are meant to be in the pot. Star moss grows extremely quickly nad can actually choke out smaller CPs like sundews, bladderworts, and such, and will end up looking quite horrible as the spore stalks stick up and end up being the only thing left of the plant, a bunch of ugly green sticks (spoken from experience). With larger plants like Sarracenia and Nepenthes, no, star moss is not a problem, but it can easily spread to pots with smaller plants if any are nearby.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree.
    My small Utricularia do fine with star moss in the pot. You just cannot see the many of the stolons. You can still see the flowers.
    It has not been a problem for my Drosera, Drosera seedlings or even Nepenthes seedlings...
    Hope I helped!
    -bananaman

Please check out My Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate the stuff... I have it in many of my pots but would much prefer a nice thick layer of sphagnum. I'm constantly trimming it back and it also forms a thick mat which can uproot small plants if you're not careful in removing it. It also pulls a lot of the media with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast