Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Heliamphora ID?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heliamphora ID?

I found a picture of a sun pitcher I'd like to try keeping some time, but I need help identifying it. Thanks.

http://fichas.infojardin.com/foto-pl...eliamphora.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is heterodoxa x minor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thanks! It's a really nice looking plant. Quick question: pitchers and other plants have different "bloodlines" depending on region right? I was reading about Heliamphora and how they don't want people taking them from the wild (because they're endangered) and causing their cultivar lines to become impure or something. They weren't talking about hybrids I don't think.
    Last edited by Teddscau; 12-10-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are getting your terms mixed up. Instead of bloodline you can say gene pool, each population will have it's own gene pool of genetically unique plants, when you remove plants from the wild you remove that genetically unique plant therefor limiting the genetic pool. It is not good to take heliamphora (or any native plant) our of their habitat because of this reason. For heliamphora, they all grow on tepuis that are national parks so it is illegal to collect anything, I wouldn't say that they are endangered because the tepuis are relatively isolated from humans so they aren't at risk. Also, a cultivar is a genetically unique plant that is registered, all plants of a certain cultivar have the same genes. I think when you say cultivar you mean gene pool. Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thanks. I couldn't remember the terms that were used.