What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good Luck IDing this Nep

Hey everyone I've got a rooted cutting from this plant that i've had for a good while (nearly 2 years) and it has produce a wide variety of pitchers for me. It seems like every one is different on my rooted cutting but these are from the mother plant which seems to be stable. Any idea what it could be?

IMG_0455 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_0437 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_2324 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_2323 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Here are some pictures from my weird cutting from this plant. This is the first pitcher it made in my care.

IMG_0754 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
And the second pitcher in my care displaying little lid syndrome and vastly different coloration.

IMG_0414 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
Then back to sort of normal

IMG_2322 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
Now the most recent pitcher

IMG_2514 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

I've already determined some sort of maxima hybrid i'm hoping someone can figure out the other parent.

Thanks for the help!

A very strange plant indeed! Looks like a different species every new pitcher, but yeah prolly something with maxima in its parentage.

Paul I was hoping you would chime in on this. Very interesting, that does look somewhat similar i'm wondering if maybe this is a complex cross involving a few other species. But i definitely agree that there is a waist to this one.

I would say this almost certainly either maxima x alata or more likely maxima X x ventrata.

Likely a hybrid of some sort. As for parents, I can say that one of those EP "Thorelii" plants has a peristome with a single "thorn" on the front like that, but I also had a N. eustachya which made that sort of peristome structure as well.

Unrelated to all these great suggestions... this plant is also a confirmed female and the original plant has about 8 bloom spikes constantly so if anyone wants to make hybrids let me know.

Wow I can't believe that all of those pitchers are from the same genetic material! Like other have said, it's probably a Maxima hybrid.

i secound the idea its maxima X x ventrata

Alright guys. I realize this thread is long since dead. But it kind of continued in the thread where I asked for pollen. I went and took a bunch of photos today to show the features closely. Until we get a positive ID we have dubbed this plant, Nepenthes "Wolfplant", I'm probably just going to register it as a cultivar so that when it's hundred of offspring start showing up everywhere people won't have to have question marks on their labels.

Lower pitcher

N. "Wolfplant" Lower pitcher by mcmcnair, on Flickr

lower rear spur

N. "Wolfplant" lower rear spur by mcmcnair, on Flickr

lower wings and peristome horn

N. "Wolfplant" lower peristome and wings by mcmcnair, on Flickr

lower peristome and lid appendage

N. "Wolfplant" Lid appendage by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Intermediate Pitchers

N. "Wolfplant" Intermediate 2 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. "Wolfplant" Intermediate 1 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Upper Pitcher

N. "Wolfplant" Upper Pitcher by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Upper wings and peristome horn

N. "Wolfplant" upper peristome and wing ridges by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Upper peristome and lid appendage

N. "Wolfplant" Upper Lid Appendage by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Upper rear spur

N. "Wolfplant" rear spur by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Stem and flower stalk

N. "Wolfplant" leaf to stem attachment by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Closeup of leaf attaching to stem

N. "Wolfplant" leaf attachment by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Leaf and Tendril

N. "Wolfplant" tendril by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Recently Pollinated flowers

N. "Wolfplant" recently pollinated flowers by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Emerging flower stalk

N. "Wolfplant" Recent Emerged Flowers by mcmcnair, on Flickr

The flower stalk that is the cross of N. "Wolfplant" x ventricosa Red from hcarlton

N. "Wolfplant" Two week old pollinated Flowers by mcmcnair, on Flickr

The flowers that will be N. "Wolfplant" x (thorelii x aristolochioides) from Paul Barden

N. "Wolfplant" x (thorelii x aristo) seed capsules by mcmcnair, on Flickr

That's it for now! If you have any idea as to what this plant might be I am open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Whatever it is, it's pretty!

I'm thinking maxima and boschiana, but that little tiny pitcher looks somewhat like campanulata. Maybe it has a bit of all three, like N. (maxima x campanulata) x boschiana, or N. (boschiana x campanulata) x maxima. Maxima seems pretty prominent in it, *TO ME*, and so does boschiana.

I really wanna say N. maxima x boschiana. :suspect:

i'm like 99% sure that one little campanulata esque pitcher was just a freak. From an ID standpoint I would ignore it completely.

I'm going to say raff may be in the mix ;), and possibly khasiana.

Back