What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help on IDing a few plants

The plant commonly sold in home centers and nurseries etc etc by Deroose and labeled as N. alata is N. Ventrata It is NOT N. Ventrata x alata, which is baloney and started by someone on an online forum.

So the Nep#4 is just N. ventrata? Do you have any input on any of the other Neps?

For #4 I think it's safe to simply call it N. Ventrata yes, and change the tag. Based on your info it is clearly the Deroose plant. Sometime you can ID other unknowns with certainty based on background info and what they look like. In many cases you can't in which case you should never simply relabel it with a new name. There should be some note on the label to that effect. Something along the line of "unknown, possible:____________" that way there is no confusion and stuff doesn't start getting handed from one grower to another with a dubious name.

#1 I think looks alot like N. alata
#2 A hybrid with N. stenophylla perhaps with some N. maxima in it? Maybe when it has larger pitchers it might be easier to see what else could be in it.
#3 N. veitchii or veitchii hybrid

It seems that Nep #2 is the stumper.

#1 the consensus is N. alata
#3 the consensus is N. veitchii or a hybrid
#4 the consensus is N. ventrata ( which is what I have had it labeled as)

Anything that I am not pretty darn sure of the species or hybrid just gets labeled Nep #1, Nep #2, etc. and will not sell or trade with anything more than that designation.

Back