What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could anyone help with these Sarracenia hybrids?

I know that Sarracenia hybrids are among the most difficult to identify due to the possibility of nearly all members of the genus crossing with one another, but could anyone help me to try and identify my two hybrids? Both hybrids are frost tolerant and grow well in full sun.

Hybrid #1:
This seems like a hybrid with some S. leucophylla in it but I have no idea what other species might be involved. It grows pitchers up to 40cm high, which turn red in the sun. The lid is curly and the pitchers have a more blotchy appearance towards the top. The flower has red petals and grows on a long stalk. I only have some pictures of an older and smaller pitcher but the characteristics are present anyway (albeit in a smaller/less pronounced way)
Back side

Front side

Sideways view

Flower:

Hybrid #2
It seems like there is some influence of S. purpurea in this hybrid. The pitchers are between 10 and 30cm long spread out from the center but go upwards towards their top. They express a very pronounced red coloration when put in sunny conditions (I have 2 plants now which have become a dark bloody red color all over). I have not yet seen a flower but one is developping now so I'll know the color of this in a few weeks.

edit: the flower color is also red

One of the plants which has been grown in lower light conditions:

detail of one pitcher which has been exposed more to sunlight:

Many thanks to the person that can identify these for me.

Last edited:
Hard to tell on the 1st pic. Either a leucophylla or leucophylla hybrid. 2nd pic looks like x mitchelliana.

I second that, the second one definitely looks like x Mitchelliiana.

Hard to tell on the 1st pic. Either a leucophylla or leucophylla hybrid. 2nd pic looks like x mitchelliana.

Did you mean the first and second hybrid? because the first and second photographs are the same pitcher viewed from different angles.

I agree with them

he/she means 1st plant and then 2nd plant.

Yes, I meant plant, not pic. The 1st one looks like an old pitcher fom last year but given all the pink, it could possibly be x' Dana's Delight'.

I agree the first one looks like Dana's Delight.

The second one is definitely a purp hybrid, but I would doubt mitchelliana, as there don't seem to be any areoles noticeable, like there would be in such a cross. Possibly a backcross with a species like rubra, so maybe x chelsonii x purpurea.

Johanovich,
its fine to try to *guess* what the plants *might* be,
but please dont ever actually give them labels from the result of the guessing! ;)
because you will never know for sure what they are..

the CP hobby has problems with mis-labeled plants..often because well-meaning people simply
give plants a label based on what they *think* it might be..but they are often wrong..

So please dont ever label your plants anything other than "mixed hybrid"..
thanks,
Scot

Johanovich,
its fine to try to *guess* what the plants *might* be,
but please dont ever actually give them labels from the result of the guessing! ;)
because you will never know for sure what they are..

the CP hobby has problems with mis-labeled plants..often because well-meaning people simply
give plants a label based on what they *think* it might be..but they are often wrong..

So please dont ever label your plants anything other than "mixed hybrid"..
thanks,
Scot

I have no intention of giving these plants labels, but it seems usefull to be able to give some information as to which possible parental influences are visible in these plants.
These plants came from a local plant shop and were only labeled as Sarracenia anyway :-(

Replaced the old photographs of hybrid 1 with photographs from 2 newer picthers from this year.

Back