Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia ID

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia ID

First up is some kind of flava I guess:

I generally do not trade for no-name hybrids so I know it should be a cultivar. What do you think? A young flava ornata maybe?

and this one

a purp ssp purp?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are correct in your identification of both plants. The top Sarracenia definitely looks to be a pure species, and the bottom as well. Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea generally has more elongated pitchers than the squatter counter-part Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa (Correct me if I am wrong )

Good Growing,
    Kenny
    My Growlist

Good Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no definitely not a venosa....i have one of those to go by
    (i know I need to pot some of them individually come early spring; getting cramped in there!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The coloration on the purpurea is very nice! Compliments to you sir for a grow well done
    My Growlist

Good Growing!

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EntHerptology View Post
    I think you are correct in your identification of both plants. The top Sarracenia definitely looks to be a pure species, and the bottom as well. Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea generally has more elongated pitchers than the squatter counter-part Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa (Correct me if I am wrong )

Good Growing,
    Kenny
    I feel no need to correct you. That top plant definitely looks like a Sarracenia flava var. ornata, and the bottom looks like a S. purpurea ssp. purpurea. I usually go by pitcher color and patterns rather than shape. Either way, lovely plants and great job figuring them out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    next year I will hopefully have something worth bragging about......I have already begun to pot the larger ones separately earlier this year. I believe about 50% of the ones I currently have need to be potted separately in the early spring as well. I am beginning to believe the size of the plants are being negatively affected by those planters.

Although i will humbly accept your compliments but the credit belongs to mother nature.....all I do is water them and pot them....the climate in which I live is pretty much native to the sarracenia.
    Last edited by cpbobby; 08-22-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen purp venosa that look like that. They're extremely variable in the wild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm.......I believe the location data was in canada, ontario not sure if venosa's have that variability in that locale but either way I love the color on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast