What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia ID

I have 2 Sarracenias that I'm not sure about. As far as I can tell, No. 1 is something to do with S. Leucophylla, No. 2 is something hybradised with S. purpurea, and No. 3 is possibly purp, but probably some stronger hybrid.

No. 1
sarracenianoid1s_zps0538d4c2.jpg

sarracenianoid2s_zpse25c52f7.jpg

No. 2
sarracenianoid5s_zpse6209464.jpg

sarracenianoid6s_zpsfbcf130c.jpg

sarracenianoid7s_zpsf452c039.jpg

No. 3
sarracenianoid3s_zpsf80c213c.jpg

sarracenianoid4s_zps6be0fb64.jpg

sarracenianoid8s_zps1af2c30f.jpg

Ta

#1 looks like it definitely has both purpurea and leuco in it, but without a certain history you won't be able to label it anything other than "Sarracenia unknown hybrid."
#2 Looks like x courtii, since pitchers are too thin for swaniana and the lid curves forward too much for that one. Whether it's a cross with the northern or southern purp subspecies, can't tell you.
# I'd say is purp venosa, or venosa burkii, though I'd lean toward the former since the lip is pretty thin, and the pitchers are as well.

#1 can't say for sure

#2 is a hybrid called x 'Lady Bug'

#3 I'd say purpurea venosa

I'm gonna chime in here -

#1 - I'm gonna guess Leuco was one of the main parents. The other plant was probably a mutt which included flava. I don't see the purp hcarlton sees in it, but I don't have much experience with purp hybrids.

#2 - Johnny is probably correct that this is 'Lady Bug.' It definitely has S. minor as the major parent with a S. psit influence on the other side, however, it opens up more than the hybrids between just those two, so I'd say that the parentage of S. 'Lady Bug' looks correct to me, especially with its squat features.

#3 - I wonder about purpurea montana here. The lid closes more than any straight venosa I've seen, or that appear in Schnell's 2002 book. However, I'm not confident about that since purpurea is such a variable plant. Perhaps, you could give us more information about where you obtained these plants and our Aussie friends could chime in as well. If it's TCed, my bet is both of the above are correct and it's venosa, albeit different from the ones I've seen here in the States.

Thanks, this has been enlightening.

What does TC mean?

These three were acquired from a hardware store that sells Triffid Park's plants - the same place I get my posted plants.

TC stands for Tissue Culture. Maybe you could search Triffid's catalog for photos of your plants.

I see. I have taken a look but many of the photos are itty bitty and they sell a huge number of varieties.
It's not terribly important, just nice to know.

I looked, too (for another reason), and thought to look for your hybrids, but didn't see them.

Back